How to apply for the MPhil/PhD/MPhilStud
All applications for the MPhil/PhD/MPhilStud must be made online and we recommend that you follow the pre-application procedure outlined below before you apply.
Preparing your documentation
- When you we ask you please to provide two samples of your work in philosophy.
- These work samples should be uploaded to the application form along with the completed application form, the two references, and any relevant certificates.
- MPhilStud applicants should submit one or two written samples, not more than 5,000 words in all.
- MPhil/PhD applicants should submit one sample of around 5,000 words.
- The College's application form asks you to supply one reference from a member of the Philosophy Department. This condition need not apply. Please feel free to send two references from people who already know you and your work. If in doubt please consult either Anthony Price at email@example.com for MPhilStud applications or Susan James at firstname.lastname@example.org for MPhil/PhD.
- Eligibility for direct application to PhD
- Only students who have the MPhilStud degree are admitted directly to the PhD.
- Students who wish to take the PhD and not to take the MPhilStud are admitted to the MPhil; and then, if they make satisfactory progress towards the PhD, they can be upgraded in their second year.
Finding the online application form
- We recommend that you access the online application form by following the link at the bottom of the programme page for the MPhil/PhD/MPhilStud.
- We strongly advise all applicants for a place to also apply for funding, which can consist of an AHRC Studentship covering fees and maintenance, or a School Studentship (home/EU or overseas) covering fees; also to apply, both for a place and for funding - deadlines each academic year are in mid-February. This gives the Department plenty of time to assess applications in advance of any College deadline.
- Any application for an AHRC will also automatically be considered for a studentship.
- We advise that other applications should reach the College by 1 June. We also accept later applications, but it can be harder to set up interviews during the long vacation.