Cristian received his BA and MA from the University of Bucharest. After a brief time teaching philosophy at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest, he won a scholarship at Oxford to read for the BPhil, and then embarked on a PhD at Cambridge. Cristian joined Birkbeck in October 2010. His main research interests are in ethics, metaethics, and philosophy of language. His current project is an investigation into the sources and manifestations of indeterminacy in moral language. For some papers related to this project, see Cristian's profile on academia.edu
Areas of research supervision
- Ethics, metaethics, Hume.
Courses taught - 2012/3
- Undergraduate: Introduction to Ethics and Political Philosophy; Ethics; Rise of the Modern State (PPH).
- MA: Introduction to Philosophy: Metaphysics; Ethics.
- 'Moral Vagueness: A Dilemma for Moral Realism', forthcoming in Oxford Studies in Metaethics, Vol. 9, 2014.
- 'Value Incomparability and Indeterminacy', Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2012. (The article may be accessed here - subscription required. A penultimate draft is available from my academia.edu profile.)
- Discussion notes: 'A Note on Kripke's Puzzle about Belief' (Reasoner, Vol. 1, No. 4, 2007); 'Translating Kripke's Pierre: Reply to Prof. Goldstein' (Reasoner, Vol. 1, No. 7, 2007).
- In preparation: 'Comparative Vagueness: Response to Carlson' (Ethical Theory and Moral Practice).
- Cercetare asupra principiilor moralei, forthcoming, 2013. (First Romanian translation of David Hume's Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals, with commentary and notes)
- Gandeste, Ed. All, Bucharest, 2009 (Romanian translation of Simon Blackburn's Think)
- Sociologia. Foarte scurta introducere, Ed. All, Bucharest, 2003 (Romanian translation of Steve Bruce's Sociology. A Very Short Introduction)
Recent and Forthcoming Talks
- 'Comparative Vagueness', Philosophy, Economics, and Politics Research Seminar, University of York, March 2013 (invited talk).
- 'Moral Vagueness: A Dilemma for Moral Realism', 9th Annual Wisconsin Metaethics Workshop, Madison, WI, September 2012.
- 'Value Incomparability and Indeterminacy', APA - Pacific Division Meeting, April 2011.
- 'Value Incomparability and Indeterminacy', 15th Annual Conference of the British Society for Ethical Theory, University of Nottingham, July 2010.
- 'Parity, Rough Equality, and Money Pumps', Cambridge Forum for Legal and Political Philosophy, December 2009.
- 'Moral Disagreement and Indeterminacy', 11th Annual Oxford Philosophy Graduate Conference, University of Oxford, November 2007.
- 'Moral Disagreement and Indeterminacy', Philosophy Faculty Colloquium, St John's College, Cambridge, November 2007.
- 'The Duty to Save Lives and Relieve Suffering: A Causal Responsibility Approach', 5th International Congress of the Society for Utilitarian Studies, University of Granada, Spain, September 2007.
- 'Quasi-Realism, Truth-Minimalism, and Relativism', 2nd Open Minds Philosophy Conference, University of Manchester, June 2007.