In this section you will find important information about your course along with other useful resources.Choose your level of study to get started:
- Certificate of Higher Education
- BA Philosophy
- MA Philosophy and PG Certificate
- MRes, MPhilStud and MPhil/PhD
More course essentials and facilities
Term dates 2016/17
- Autumn term: Monday 3 October to Friday 16 December 2016
- Christmas closing: Friday 23 December 2016 to Monday 2 January 2017
- Spring term: Monday 9 January to Friday 24 March 2017
- Easter closing: Thursday 13 April 2016 to Tuesday 18 April 2017
- Summer term: Monday 24 April to Friday 7 July 2017
General Philosophy Web Resources
Institutes and societies
- The Department of Philosophy is a member of the University of London’s Institute of Philosophy. Students in the Department therefore belong to a large, intercollegiate community of philosophers, and are welcome at a vast range of seminars, lectures, talks and conferences.
- The Institute of Philosophy
The Institute of Philosophy runs a series of lunchtime seminars and one-day conferences on a variety of philosophical topics, and invites speakers from around the world. Information about the programme of events can be found on the Institute's website.
The Aristotelian Society
The Society arranges a programme of distinguished speakers every academic year, meetings are held fortnightly on Monday afternoons in Senate House. Speakers introduce their papers and then answer questions from the audience. There is a reduced membership fee for students.
The Royal Institute of Philosophy
The Royal Institute of Philosophy runs a lecture series on Friday evenings at 5.45 p.m.
The Jacobsen Lecture
The University of London Jacobsen Lecture is held annually and is given by a specially invited philosopher of international standing.
The Birkbeck Philosophy Society
The Birkbeck Philosophy Society runs frequent events ranging from Q&As to debates and parties. Regular weekly meetings are held on Wednesday evenings.
Birkbeck Institute for the Humanities
The Birkbeck Institute for the Humanities arranges a programme of conferences and workshops on current intellectual issues in the Humanities.
Birkbeck Student Union