Birkbeck Graduate Research School
We know how challenging research can be. We also recognise how important your research is and want you to achieve the highest standards. The Birkbeck Graduate Research School (BGRS) exists to support you in your research endeavours.
What we do
- Our main responsibility is to enhance the experience of postgraduate research students of the College by:
- providing training for both supervisors and students in collaboration with schools
- promoting good practice in supervision across the College
- maintaining links with the Bloomsbury Colleges Postgraduate Skills Network
- facilitating international links and working with the International Office to meet the specific needs of international research students
- organising academic and social events for all research students in collaboration with the Birkbeck Students' Union
Fees and financial support
- You will find the latest fee information on our MPhil/PhD course pages.
- If you get into financial difficulties after you’ve started studying, you may be able to apply for the following bursaries and grants:
- As an MPhil/PhD student at Birkbeck, you can get access to a range of resources, including:
- Research students' resources room
- Courses and workshops, Birkbeck guides and online resources
- The Good Viva Video (restricted access)
- The Good Supervision Video (restricted access)
- The Good Presentation Video (restricted access)
- Regulations and procedural information
- Find out more about our full range of student services by checking our Guide for MPhil/PhD students.
- How to apply for an MPhil/PhD degree
- Find a potential supervisor
- Guidelines in writing a research proposal
- What happens once you apply
- Accepting an offer of admission
- PhD Entry forms and submission information
- AHRC Applications and information
Find out more
- News and events: we organise lecture series, generic skills workshops and social events. You will find details of all events and workshops in the news and events area of the My Birkbeck web site.
- People: you will find information on the people involved in the School here.
- Check our MPhil/PhD students' guide for more information on the services we offer.
- ORBIT is Birkbeck's new electronic thesis repository. Find out more here.