Birkbeck ranked 50th most international university in the world
Birkbeck has been ranked the 50th most international university in the world, in a Times Higher Education league table.
The ranking, based on the THE’s “international outlook” indicator of its World University Rankings methodology, placed Birkbeck in the top 10% in the world out of a cohort of 800 universities.
The indicator took into account both the diversity of the student body of those universities ranked, the proportion of international staff as well as the level of international collaboration among the academic body.
Widely considered as the most influential university league table in the world, the annual THE World University Ranking rates institutions across their core missions of teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
Professor David Latchman, Master of Birkbeck, University of London, said:
“Being recognised as the 50th in the world for international outlook is powerful backing for Birkbeck’s global reputation for excellence as a leading research-intensive university.
“Our ranking is testament to the efforts of staff across the college to forge links with the very best in their fields internationally to produce research of global standing. This, in turn, helps to foster the rigorous, challenging and stimulating intellectual environment for which the college is rightly renowned, and which attracts students and staff not just from across London, but the world.”
Phil Baty, editor of the THE rankings, said:
“An institution’s global outlook is one of the key markers of a prestigious university. The top institutions hire faculty from all over the world, attract students from a global market of top talent and collaborate with leading departments wherever they happen to be based.
“It is great news for all the institutions in the list of the most international universities in the world. It is a sign of great potential, competitiveness and dynamism.”
Birkbeck has demonstrated a consistently strong performance across several rankings compiled by THE using this data, including:
- Being placed joint 35th out of 78 UK institutions included, and 8th in London in the THE’s international ranking of universities worldwide
- Having the college’s arts and humanities courses ranked third best in London and 11th in the UK in the THE 2015-16 World University Subject Rankings.
The college has also celebrated several other notable external recognitions over the last few months, including:
- The College taking the top spot in London for graduate employment for part-time students in an analysis by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
- Birkbeck’s School of Arts being rated number one in the UK by students for key aspects of its teaching in the National Student Survey (NSS)
- Birkbeck’s placement within the top 10 of London’s best universities, and the UK’s top 40 institutions, in the influential QS World Ranking league table