Frequently asked questions
If your question is not answered in the following information, please contact the events team on 020 7380 3109/3118 or by emailing email@example.com
Ceremony dates and timings
How do I know when my graduation will take place?
- Graduation ceremonies are held twice a year.
- Undergraduate ceremonies take place in November and postgraduate ceremonies in April. PhD graduates are invited to attend either ceremony, depending on their date of completion.
- An invitation detailing the specific date and time of your ceremony will be emailed to you around 6 weeks before the event.
Where are the ceremonies held?
- All ceremonies take place in the Logan Hall, in the basement of the Institute of Education
How do I know which ceremony I will attend?
- Ceremonies are organised by School. Information is posted on the web page and also sent to you with booking details around six weeks before the event.
I can’t make the date of my ceremony, what can I do?
- We can invite you to any future ceremony of your choice. Just get in touch with the events office to discuss the options: firstname.lastname@example.org
What time should I arrive for the ceremony?
- We ask that everyone is seated half an hour before the start of the ceremony.
- You will need to allow time to collect your tickets and gown before the ceremony and have photographs taken (if required) before the ceremony, although there may be time for photos afterwards.
How long does the ceremony last?
- The formal ceremony lasts about 90mins. Afterwards there is a reception for about an hour, which is optional - it is up to you how long you stay.
I am not bringing any guests; do I still need to book my place?
- Yes. Graduates must book their place at the ceremony, although there is no charge for their tickets.
How many guests can I bring?
- Guest tickets are usually limited to 2 or 3 per graduate due to the capacity of the venue (this will be specified on your invitation). You may be able to buy extra tickets online for a limited period after the booking deadline has passed if the ceremony is not fully booked.
Can I book additional tickets?
- Once the booking deadline has passed we may be able to offer any remaining seats, however we cannot guarantee this. If extra tickets become available you will receive an email notification reminding you when they will go onsale and this will include a link to the online booking system for extra tickets. These are sold on a first come, first served basis.
When will I get my tickets?
- Tickets will be available for collection on the day of the ceremony.
- Important information, including where you need to go to collect your tickets, will be emailed to graduates about a week before the ceremony.
- You must let us know your current email address at the time of booking and make sure you check this email in advance of the ceremony.
When can I book my tickets?
- We will contact you around 6 weeks before the date of your ceremony. All information is available online. The online booking facility will open as soon as we send out the email invitation. After the booking deadline, extra tickets may go on sale online for a limited period if available.
What is the deadline for ticket applications?
- The deadline for the next Graduation Ceremonies will be Wednesday 9th October.
How much do guest tickets cost?
- The ticket price helps to cover the cost of the event. Adult tickets cost £30 and child tickets (under 10) £15.
- There is no charge for a young child sitting on an adult’s lap.
I have not received information; what should I do?
- Get in touch with the events office as soon as possible: email@example.com
- Make sure you do not have any outstanding tuition fees or library fines. Students who are in arrears to the College will not be invited to the ceremony until the debt has been cleared.
- Make sure your contact details are up to date on your My Birkbeck profile.
Is there parking available at the ceremony?
- The nearest car park is the NCP at Russell Square. There are a few disabled parking spaces outside the Institute of Education but unfortunately we are unable to reserve these places.
Can I bring children to the ceremony?
- Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a crèche. Given the length of the ceremony, it may be a good idea to make alternative arrangements for young children.
- Seats for children may be booked (on an adult’s lap free, under 10 years £15) but please let the events office know in advance. We will then arrange for guests to be seated near a door so that they can leave the hall if children become noisy.
One of my guests has a disability; what should I do?
- It is vital that you put this information on your booking form. We will make every effort to accommodate the needs of all guests providing we are advised in advance of the day.
Academic gowns and photographs
Is there a dress code for the ceremony?
- Academic dress is mandatory at Birkbeck graduation ceremonies and is made up of a robe, hood and hat. All graduates are required to wear academic robes for the formal part of the ceremony.
- There is no other dress code for graduates or guests.
- It is your responsibility to order your academic robe. You can do this directly with Birkbeck's academic gown supplier, Ede and Ravenscroft either by visiting the website and selecting the Birkbeck option or by calling 01223 861 854
- The online system for academic robes will open as soon as we send out the invitations for your ceremony
Where do I hire my robe for the ceremony?
- Robe hire is compulsory, please contact Ede and Ravenscroft as soon as you receive your invitation to hire your academic robe: 01223 861 854. The deadline for advance orders is usually about two weeks before the ceremony.
Can I take photographs during the ceremony?
- Yes, but please be mindful of other guests and do not block walkways. Tripods may not be used.
Can I arrange a professional portrait at the graduation?
- Yes, Ede and Ravenscroft will have a photography studio at the event. You can order your photos in advance by calling 0870 242 1170 or you can book online.
Will I get my certificate if I don’t attend the ceremony?
- Yes. Certificates are not presented at the ceremony. They are posted at a later date from the Diploma Production Office at Senate House.
- Please call them directly with any queries on 020 7862 8303 or send them an email.