New and continuing students
From the 2012/13 academic year onwards a new fees and funding system is in place for all undergraduate study within the UK.
Government subsidies for higher education have been withdrawn and subsequently fees have increased. However, non-means-tested student loans are now available to all new both in full-time and part-time study. students
Transitional arrangements have been put in place to ensure that those who are already studying in higher education can continue to study under the old system until they have completed an honours degree.
Continuing students will be charged a lower rate of fees and part-time students may be eligible for the means-tested fee grant.
Continuing students are:
- Continuing a programme of study they have already started. Students who were studying a Certificate of Higher Education, Foundation Degree or Honours degree in 2011/12 and are continuing on the same programme of study in 2012/13.
- Formally interrupted their studies. Students who were studying a Certificate of Higher Education, Foundation Degree or Honours degree in 2009/10 or 2010/11 and who interrupted their studies in 2012/12, but who are returning to continue their programme of study in 2012/13.
- ‘End on’ students. Students who have completed a Certificate of Higher Education or a Foundation Degree in 2011/12 and are going straight on to an Honours degree in 2012/13 studying at the same mode of study (i.e. part-time to part-time or full-time to full-time).
- Transferred from another programme of study. Students who were part way through a Certificate of Higher Education, Foundation Degree or Honours degree in 2011/12 and who transfer to another eligible programme of study in 2012/13 will still be treated as continuing students.
New students are:
- Students starting a course who haven’t studied on an eligible course in 2010/11 or 2011/12.
- Students who have completed a Certificate of Higher Education or Foundation degree prior to 2010/11 or before and are going on to start an Honours degree in 2012/13
Assessing whether you are a new or continuing student
When you enrol the College will automatically assess whether we think you are a new or continuing student. If you think that we have assessed you wrongly, please contact us as soon as possible and we can review your specific circumstances.