Financial support for MPhil/PhD students
At MPhil/PhD level, there is limited funding. MPhil/PhD students are expected to have made realistic provision at the start of their course to fund their tuition fees, course costs and living costs.
In addition to academic requirements, applicants for funded research studentships may need to satisfy specific residency requirements set by the sponsor. Full details of eligibility requirements are made available when studentships are advertised.
Students who are able to secure their own funding (e.g. from a sponsor or through self-funding) will be asked to demonstrate that they have made provision for maintenance and study costs for at least 3 years of full-time study.
School of Arts funding
- School of Arts Anniversary Scholarships
- MPhil/PhD Arts Research Studentships (ARS)
- AHRC Studentship: History of Art
- AHRC studentship: Dorothy Richardson's Correspondence and Modernist Networks
- Two AHRC Collaborative Partnership Studentships available in Brazilian visual culture
- Keynes Doctoral Awards
- Murray Research Studentship
- The Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation
- Olga Turner Scholarship
- Funding for postgraduate students' events and research
- Arts Master's Studentships
School of Business, Economics and Informatics funding
- School of Business, Economics and Informatics research studentships
- The Economic and Social Research Council Studentships on Health and Well-being (psychological approaches)
School of Law funding
School of Science funding
- ArcelorMittal Learning Ladder bursaries for students in east London: ArcelorMittal – the world’s leading steel and mining company – has made a major donation to Birkbeck to sponsor students in east London. As part of the three-year gift, called the Learning Ladder, ArcelorMittal will pay for four undergraduate student bursaries, tuition fees for one postgraduate student, and support for a student researching a PhD in crystallography – the study of atomic and molecular structures. For more information or to apply for the ArcelorMittal awards please contact Matthew Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7380 3169.
- Birkbeck Anniversary funding for Psychology research
- Department of Biological Sciences funding
- ESRC funding for Psychology degrees
- PhD funding for research on Spatial cognition as a contributor to the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- We are pleased to consider Brazilian PhD students on the Science without Borders programme.
School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy funding
- AHRC funding for any field of History, Classics or Archaeology
- Birkbeck Anniversary Scholarships and SSHP Scholarship: open to applicants from all SSHP departments and including a fully funded MPhil/PhD in Sociology and a fully funded MPhil/PhD on the topic of Migration and Transnationalism
- Bloomsbury Studentship: ESRC funding for Politics' degrees
- ESRC funding for Politics' degrees
- Fully funded MPhil/PhD in Sociology
- Bloomsbury Colleges studentships
- Good Energy PhD studentship
- Career Development Loans
- Disabled Students' Allowance
- Help with childcare costs
- International student funding
- Alternative Sources of Funding (for current Birkbeck students and applicants only)