Birkbeck One-Term Bursaries
Birkbeck One-Term Bursaries are intended to enable working students to undertake a short period of full time-study during a critical stage of their course. This is normally expected to be in the final year of their course.
The bursary acts as an ‘earnings replacement’ for an agreed period of time away from work in order for a student to concentrate on their studies; thereby improving their academic prospects.
Students may only apply for one award over the duration of their course.
- Open to students studying a part-time degree course – details as below:
- Undergraduate Students
- An award will be for a period not normally exceeding ten weeks, and may be held before BA, BSc or LLB examinations, normally in the final year of the course.
- Master’s Students
- Awards will be made for a period not normally exceeding ten weeks, before submission of dissertation or final examinations in the second (or subsequent) year of a part-time course.
- Research Students
- Applications will be considered from students who have completed at least two years of successful part-time research at the College.
An award will be for a period not normally exceeding ten weeks.
A student will not normally be considered for the award of a Bursary if studentships (from whatever source) have been held for three years.
- A maintenance grant paid to the student as appropriate and according to the circumstances of successful applicants.
- Currently this will be a maximum of £200 per week for a period of 10 weeks up to a maximum of £2,000 in total.
- The student should have the agreement of his/her tutor or supervisor that he/she has reached a critical stage in his/her course and that a period of concentrated study will be of benefit.
- The student should then prepare a timetable detailing the work which will be undertaken each week.
- The tutor or supervisor should write a reference in support of the student’s application and should confirm agreement to the timetable.
- Students should apply early (in the term before they wish to use the bursary) to ensure enough time to process the application and make appropriate arrangements.
- For advice or an application form, please contact the Student Financial Support Office.