There are two different types of Federal or Stafford Loans:
- Subsidised loans are available to students who demonstrate a financial need. In the case of subsidised loans, the US government covers the cost of the interest accruing on the loan as long as you are enrolled at university for at least half-time study.
- Unsubsidised loans are available to students who do not qualify for other financial aid or to students who quality for partial aid but require additional funds. With an unsubsidised loan you are responsible for all the interest that accrues on the loan while you are enrolled at university. Interest on this loan can be paid off monthly while you are at university or may be deferred until after you graduate or stop attending at least half-time.
- To receive student financial aid, you need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every school year. You can complete your application here (note: Birkbeck School Code is 009084).
- After completing the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). To apply, you will also need to do the following:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Complete the Master Promissory Note online.
- Complete the relevant entrance counselling, if you have not already. It is recommended that you complete the direct loan counselling, even if you have taken FFELP counselling previously.
- Complete the Stafford Loan checklist with your details
Please note: you must complete the FAFSA and submit a new MPN to us each year.