How much can you get?
For students studying in 2012/13 you can get a fee grant of up to £1,230 and a course grant of up to £265.
- the intensity of your course
- your household income
Intensity of your course
- The amount you may be eligible for will depend on how long it takes to complete your course compared with the equivalent full-time course:
- Undergraduate degrees: Part-time BA, BSc and LLB courses at Birkbeck are all offered at an intensity of 75% of a full-time degree. The amount that you may be awarded depends on your income for the previous tax year. Please see the part-time grant calculator for an estimated amount of Fee and Course Grant.
- Foundation degrees: Part-time foundation degree courses at Birkbeck are classed as 50% intensity during the shorter academic year (two terms) and 75% intensity during the two full academic years. The amount you may be awarded depends on your income for the previous tax year. Please see the part-time grant calculator for an estimated amount of Fee and Course Grant.
- Certificate of Higher Education: to be eligible for a fee grant for a part-time Cert HE, you must ordinarily be on a programme of study that covers 120 credit points over two academic years, which means you may be eligible for a grant that can cover the entirety of your fees.
- Certificate of Higher Education fast-track programme: some Cert HE courses at Birkbeck are specifically designed as fast-track courses, which allow you to study up to 120 credit points and complete the course in a single year. Provided the course is specifically accredited by Birkbeck as a fast-track course, it is still treated as being part-time, and you may still be eligible for a grant that can cover the fees for 90 of the 120 credit points. The Cert HE fast-track courses supported for Government funding are listed here.
- If you receive a full or partial Government fee grant and are unable to pay the balance yourself, you will be eligible to apply for the Additional Fee Support Scheme from Birkbeck to help towards the cost of the remainder of your fees.