We offer a range of courses for you to choose from. If you're not sure what level is best for you, please download a copy of our guide to qualifications.
- For the first time, the government will pay eligible Birkbeck students’ fees through the new student loan system. This means you will not have to pay your fees upfront.
Courses by level
Certificates and short courses
- Linguistics and Language (French / German / Japanese / Portuguese / Spanish) (BA)
- Social Science with Communication (BSc)
- Pre-enrolment checklist: are you ready to study?
- Financing a course in 2012/13
- Undergraduate modules
- Undergraduate timetable 2012/13
- We offer you with a choice of MA and MRes degrees. If you're interested in research or planning to go on to a PhD, then an MRes degree is a good place to start:
- Applied Linguistics (MA)
- Intercultural Communication for Business and Professions (MA)
- Language Teaching (MA)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (MA)
- International Field Leadership (PostGradCert): Check out the blog for the Raleigh India expedition where you can find out how some of our PGCert International Field Leadership students are getting on.
- Linguistic Studies (GradCert)
- Postgraduate Modules
- Postgraduate Timetable 2012/13
MPhil/PhD (pure research)
- At this level, we aim for students to make the transition into fully fledged, independent academic researchers, with the skills necessary to present their research orally as well as in writing, in addition to pushing back the frontiers of knowledge.
- Research in Applied Linguistics (PhD/MPhil)
- Research in Education/Lifelong Learning (PhD/MPhil)
- Information about applying for Doctoral study
- Routes to the PhD
- Find out more about studying a PhD by
NewRoutePhD (taught modules and research together)
- In these degrees, you will take taught modules as part of your qualifying requirement. The aim of these modules is to help you to gain the skills, knowledge and understanding to engage with and evaluate research and theory. These modules will also enable you to prepare and carry out a research project.
- Applied Linguistics (NewRoutePhD)
- Intercultural Communication (NewRoutePhD)
- Language Teaching (NewRoutePhD)
- TESOL (NewRoutePhD)
- Routes to the PhD
- Find out more about studying a PhD by: