Study Skills Web Sites
General | Writing | Basic Maths | Research |Citing your References | Using the Internet | Taking Exams | Presentation Skills
- College Student Study Tips is an all-round resource with a U.S. slant from the College Grants Database
- Critical Reading Techniques comprehensive page on reading, annotating and reviewing text
- Critical Thinking Web free online tutorials on critical thinking, logic, scientific reasoning, and creativity, from the University of Hong Kong
- British Dyslexia Association contains many different links to useful online resources for dyslexic learners
- Economist Style Guide based on the style book which is given to all journalists at The Economist
- Howtostudy.org Techniques and resources
- Notetaking Systems page from California State Polytechnic illustrating the various systems of note taking
- My Birkbeck Get Ahead Stay Ahead a set of self paced interactive tutorials on various aspects of study skills
- Skills4study a comprehensive study skills page prepared by Stella Cottrell, offering general advice on learning skills techniques. Also includes links to specific study skills and resources for various subject areas
- Plain English Campaign an independent organisation fighting for crystal-clear language and against jargon, gobbledygook and other confusing language
- Reading in the Sciences from Muskingum College
- Study Guides and Strategies A large site with general advice on studying, time management, exam preparation and essay writing. Includes links to many other helpful sites.
- Study Guide Zone an online study resources directory, including advice on different types of learners, concentration and memorization techniques, critical thinking skills, testing and essay writing
- Study Skills Online "an electronic guide to some of the best ways to study" from Martin Greenhow at Brunel University
- Study Tips various articles offering assistance with learning strategies, revising, maths help and study skills for science students. Also has useful links to other sites
- Virginia Tech Study Skills Self-help Information (Cook Counseling Center). A general site with advice on time management, improving concentration, note taking, effective reading, stress management and essay writing
Writing Essays, Reports and Theses
- Ask Dr. Math Basic maths questions answered by maths professors. You can either email questions or search the archives
- Math Forum comprehensive guide covering a range of topics including algebra, calculus, geometry, probability and statistics. Also has sections on applied maths for the sciences, humanities and social sciences
- Maths Online A list of links to various interactive online learning materials
- Bedford Research Room page from Colorado State University, providing useful links on how to develop a research question, search the web, evaluate sources and work with information from sources
- Critically Analyzing Information Sources from the Library at Cornell University, from initial appraisal through to content analysis
- Engage in Research for biosciences undergraduates. It covers the basic areas of research, including how and where to search for scientific papers, how to structure a literature review, basic statistics and more - from University of Reading.
- Postgraduate Research in Law advice from the University of Wollongong on how to conduct legal research, including hints on developing a topic, research methods, style and constructing reasoned arguments
- Research and Documentation Online site by Diana Hacker, offering advice on finding and documenting sources in the Humanities, Social Sciences, History and Sciences. Includes various useful links
- The Seven Steps of the Research Process Outlines a strategy for finding information and documenting the sources you find. Also offers good advice on evaluating sources
Citing your References
- The Bedford Research Room advice on how to create a works cited or references list and links to pages outlining the use of MLA and APA styles
- Plagarism.org comprehensive site giving guidance on citation styles, information on copyright laws and how to avoid plagarism
- Citation styles, style guides and avoiding plagiarism produced by Berkeley University Library.
- Citing References Learning Objects created by Cardiff University - APA, Harvard, MHRA, OSCOLA and Vancouver styles are all covered; includes quizzes where you can test your understanding of each system.
- Citation Styles (APA, MLA, ASA, Chicago, Turabian and Sciences, etc) produced by St. Cloud State University Library.
- The Best Style Guide Resources for MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE produced by the Best Online College. Here you will find resource pages for each different style, university tutorials, and free works cited generators.
- Best Free Style Guide Resources for MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE produced by Edward Khoo of Best Free Online net. Here you will find resource pages for each different style, university tutorials, and free works cited generators.
Using the Internet
- Evaluating Internet Information page from John Hopkins University discussing the criteria which can be used to assess information found on the Internet
- Intute Virtual Training Suite a set of free online tutorials designed to help students, lecturers and researchers improve their Internet information literacy and IT skills
- BBC Webwise online course for beginners and series of articles covering frequently asked questions about the Internet
- Internet Detective The tutorial offers practical advice on evaluating the quality of websites and highlights the need for care when selecting online information sources to inform university or college work.
- Learn the Net site with links to various online courses, quizes and games to help you master the Internet
- Getting Online a series of courses delivered via the web covering all aspects of using the Internet
- Finding Information on the Internet - a tutorial This free online tutorial from the University of California at Berkeley offers beginning, intermediate, and advanced courses on using the Internet
- NoodleQuest Asks you questions about your research topic and suggests the best Internet search strategy.
Resources on scientific presentations
back to top