Using the internet
The following is specifically tailored for Pharmacists, introducing you to all the key databases and information gateways for pharmacy:
Engage in Research is a new, interactive website for biosciences undergraduates. It covers the basic areas of research, including how and where to search for scientific papers, how to structure a literature review, basic statistics and more.
Below are a few links to quality controlled gateways that you may find useful:
- BUBL (Bulletin Board of Libraries) Link to subject areas, including pharmaceutics, pharmacology.
- Intute Chemistry Gateway A guide to high quality resources on the web
- Intute: Health and Life Sciences
- SciCentral - best scientific research news sources
- WWW Virtual Library: Pharmacy
Reference & Research
- British National Formulary
- British National Formulary for Children
- ChemBioFinder Physical property data and chemical structures
- ChemRefer - search engine designed to allow students, academics, chemical and pharmaceutical companies quick access to chemistry literature which is available on the internet.
- Electronic Medicines Compendium
- Free Full-Text Journals in Chemistry
- Materials Safety Data Sheets
- National Electronic Library for Medicines
- NIST Chemistry WebBook Search for data on specific compounds based on name, chemical formula, CAS registry number, molecular weight, chemical structure, or selected ion energetics and spectral properties.
- PubChem Information on the biological activities of small molecules
- ResearchGate "Facebook for Scientists"
- ScienceResearch.com Portal that searches online scientific journals and databases. Results give abstracts and sometimes access to full text
- Scirus a search engine specially developed to find scientific information
Toxnet 4 databanks of factual information on toxicity, hazardous chemicals and related topics
- Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- British Pharmacological Society
- Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee (PSNC)
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain