Make sure you know what other libraries you can use, and what can be offered by our inter-library loan service.
Of particular interest are:
- British Library - for materials not readily accessible locally. Reference use only. Click here for details of admission procedure.
- National Art Library - See their web site for access details. You must bring proof of identification and two passport-sized photographs if you are applying for a reader’s ticket. Click here for their catalogue.
- Senate House Library, University of London (ULL) - check for eligibility.
- University College Library (UCL) - reference use only.
- Westminster Reference Library, Art & Design Department
SCONUL Access Scheme
(formerly UK Libraries Plus and SCONUL Research Extra schemes)
Part-time students, full-time taught postgraduates, research students and staff may borrow from the libraries of over 170 UK higher education institutions via this scheme. Apply at the Library help desk or send the application form to Birkbeck library.
Other useful links include:
- Arlis Directory of Art, Architecture and Design Resources - lists more than 250 organisations that have books, magazines, archives and other material on art, architecture or design. The database includes names, addresses, opening hours, web site addresses and details about access.
- Art History Libraries in London - provides information about the collection strengths of art history libraries in London with links to their web sites and catalogues (prepared by the Library Committee on the History of Art).
- artlibraries.net - Virtual Catalogue for Art History - gives access to 6 million records from 20 specialist art libraries throughout Europe and elsewhere.
Union List of Serials - searches the journal holdings of the majority of University of London college and research institute libraries.
COPAC - the combined catalogues of 20 major UK research libraries, including Oxford and Cambridge.
- Search25 - search across the catalogues of all the libraries in the M25 area, also gives links to their web sites and details of which subjects they specialise in.
Click on the Other Libraries tab at the top of the page for further information.