Make sure you know what other libraries you can use, and details of our inter-library loan service.
- British Library - Access generally limited to final year undergraduates and postgraduates to consult materials not available elsewhere. Reference only.
- Institute of Historical Research - reference collection of printed primary sources, bibliographies, periodicals and reference works. Free membership for postgraduates, day tickets available to undergraduates to consult materials otherwise unavailable in London.
- National Art Library - See their web site for access details. You must bring proof of identification and two passport-sized photographs if you are applying for a reader’s ticket. Click here for their catalogue.
- Senate House Library, University of London (SHL) - check for eligibility.
Of particular interest are:
The Royal Horticultural Society’s Lindley Library, 80 Vincent Square, London SW1P 2PE. The Library is open to RHS members and the general public.
The Museum of Garden History’s Library Lambeth Palace Road, London SW1P 2PE can be visited but only by prior arrangement.
SCONUL Access Scheme
(formerly UK Libraries Plus and SCONUL Research Extra schemes)
Part-time students, full-time taught postgraduates, research students and staff may borrow from the libraries of over 170 UK higher education institutions via this scheme. Apply at the Library help desk or send the application form to Birkbeck library.
Other useful links include:
- Arlis Directory of Art, Architecture and Design Resources - lists more than 250 organisations that have books, magazines, archives and other material on art, architecture or design. The database includes names, addresses, opening hours, web site addresses and details about access.
- Art History Libraries in London - provides information about the collection strengths of art history libraries in London with links to their web sites and catalogues (prepared by the Library Committee on the History of Art).
- COPAC The combined catalogues of about 20 major university libraries including the University of London Library, Oxford and Cambridge.
- University of London Union List of Serials - An alphabetical list of journals and other serials held in the colleges and institutes of the University of London.
- Search25 - search across the catalogues of all the libraries in the M25 area, also gives links to their web sites and details of which subjects they specialise in.
Click on the Other Libraries tab at the top of the page for further information