Make sure you know what other libraries you can use, and details of our inter-library loan service
Arlis Directory of Art, Architecture and Design Resources
The Directory of Resources lists more than 250 organisations that have books, magazines, archives and other material on art, architecture or design. The database includes names, addresses, opening hours, web site addresses and details about access.
Art History Libraries in London - provides information about the collection strengths of other art history libraries in London and information about access with links to web sites and web catalogues (prepared by the Library Committee on the History of Art).
SIBMAS database of performing arts libraries worldwide
Of particular interest are:
- British Library Access generally limited to final year undergraduates and postgraduates to consult materials not available elsewhere. Reference only.
- British Library National Sound Archive Free public listening service by appointment.
- INiva Library /inIVA Library and Archive (Institute of International Visual Arts) Creates exhibitions, publications, multimedia, education and research projects, designed to bring the work of artists from culturally diverse backgrounds to the attention of the widest possible public.
- National Art Library See their web site for access details. You must bring proof of identification and two passport-sized photographs if you are applying for a reader’s ticket.
- Senate House Library University of London (ULL) - check here as categories of Birkbeck students have paid for by their school borrowing rights to this library.
- St Bride Printing Library Printing, publishing, graphic design and related subjects.
- University College Library (UCL) - reference use only
- Westminster Reference Library, Art & Design Department
SCONUL Access Scheme
Part-time students, full-time taught postgraduates, research students and staff may borrow from the libraries of over 170 UK higher education institutions via this scheme. Those enrolled on a CHE course that is equal or greater than 60 CATS or on a degree course are eligible to join this scheme. Apply at the Library help desk or send the application form to Birkbeck library.
Other useful links include:
- COPAC The combined catalogues of about 20 major university libraries including the University of London Library, Oxford and Cambridge.
- University of London Union List of Serials - An alphabetical list of journals and other serials held in the colleges and institutes of the University of London.
- Search25 - search across the catalogues of all the libraries in the M25 area, also gives links to their web sites and details of which subjects they specialise in.
Click on the Other Libraries tab at the top of the page for further information.