Image collections via LUNA
London Architecture Online
A searchable collection of 4,500 images of architecture and urban spaces in London from the 11th to the 20th centuries, is accessible via the LUNA user-interface.
- London Architecture Online (on campus) - for all Birkbeck staff and students logged in to a computer at Birkbeck.
- London Architecture Online (off campus) - for all Birkbeck staff and students who wish to login via the internet, e.g. on a home computer (please use your Birkbeck username & password).
Other digital image collections accessible via LUNA
- AMICA Library - 108,000 fine art images from major museums around the world.
- Garden History: Catena Digital Archive - 1,720 images of historic gardens and landscapes.
- US National Library of Medicine - 70,000 images (portraits, photographs, cartoons, posters) of the history of medicine from the 15th to 21st century.
- LUNA Commons - 230,000 images forming the LUNA Commons Collections.
Recommended online collections and portals
General portals & search engines
- Digital librarian - images portal for 'the best of the web' as A-Z listing.
- Intute - portal for arts & humanities, health & life sciences, social sciences, science & technology.
- Wikimedia Commons - search engine for a vast array of pictures and images.
Architecture & Visual Arts
- AMICA Library (LUNA) - 108,000 fine art images from major museums around the world.
- Architecture Visual Resources Library - slide database at the University of California at Berkeley.
- Art&Architecture - Courtauld Institute of Art online image archive.
- Art History Resources - Christopher Witcombe - comprehensive portal for art history images online.
- Artchive - portal for fine art and art theory with links to major art museums.
- Artcyclopedia - portal for art history, art movements, artists, art images and links to major art museums.
- Beazley Archive of Classical Art and Architecture
- British Library Images Online
- Collage Portal - 20,000 works from the Guildhall Library and Guildhall Art Gallery London.
- Credo Reference (on campus) - gives Birkbeck staff and students direct access to 46,400 images in the Bridgeman Art Library including 640 paintings in the National Gallery London.
- Credo Reference (off campus) - enter your Birkbeck username & password for external internet access to 46,400 images in the Bridgeman Art Library including 640 paintings in the National Gallery London.
- Film and Sound Online - Birkbeck College has direct access to this service.
- Garden History - Catena Digital Archive (LUNA) - 1,720 images of historic gardens and landscapes.
- Great Buildings - images of historic architecture around the world
- Hypermedia Research Archive - complete writings and pictures of Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
- Intute: Visual Arts - range of resources on education, theory and research in creative visual arts.
- Olga's Gallery - 10,000 artworks, helpful search indexes, mainly paintings, drawings and prints.
- Pevsner Architectural Guides - Sir Nicolaus Pevsner, former Professor of History of Art at Birkbeck - useful links to other architecture sites.
- Visual Arts Data Service (VADS)
- Web Gallery of Art - searchable database of 22,000 European artworks from 1100 to 1850.
- Wikipedia: British Architecture - comprehensive list and images of historic buildings and architects.
Art Museums & Galleries
- Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum - search the collection.
- Birmingham City Art Gallery: Pre-Raphaelite Collection - 3,000 Pre-Raphaelite painting & drawings.
- Cambridge: Fitzwilliam Museum - search 126,900 images in the collections database.
- London: British Museum Images - view the copyright images of the BM collections.
- London: British Museum - search almost 1.9 million objects and view 510,000 images in the research database.
- London: City of London Archives & Guildhall Art Gallery - over 20,000 images of London life.
- London: National Gallery - the entire collection.
- London: National Portrait Gallery - view 120,000 portraits.
- London: Royal Academy of Arts - RA Collection online
- London: Tate Collection - 66,000 artworks mostly accessible online.
- London: V&A Museum Images - view collections, register for Lightbox functions.
- London: V&A image database - access to over 16,000 works and over 20,000 images, including ceramics, fashion, furniture, glass, metalwork, paintings, photographs, prints, sculpture, and textiles.
- London: Wallace Collection - Wallace Live online image database.
- Madrid: Prado Museum - online gallery of 2,000 works.
- New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art - 130,000 works of art in the collection database.
- Paris: Louvre - 30,000 artworks exhibited in the Louvre Museum.
- Paris: Louvre - artworks exhibited in the museums of France.
- Paris: Louvre - 3,000 works of British Art in French Public Collections (pre-1940).
- Paris: Musee d'Orsay - collections overview and discovery.
Arts & Humanities
- British Library Images Online
- Intute Arts & Humanities - portal for images for the arts and humanities.
- The Victorian Web - culture and history of Victorian Britain.
- Voice of the Shuttle - University of California Santa Barbara.
- The Wenceslaus Hollar Digital Collection - 2,455 illustrative prints of 17th century England from the University of Toronto Library