Help Available for Technology Enhanced Learning
At Birkbeck, academic staff are encouraged to make appropriate uses of TEL in their own teaching contexts. Administrators in the departments provide an initial layer of support, ensuring that staff and students are enrolled in the required modules, and supporting online assignment submission.
Support and development of TEL is carried out by the following providers within the college:
The Learning Technology team within ITS provide technical and end user support for TEL across the college, sometimes working in collaboration with the other Bloomsbury colleges as well as external service providers.
The LT team’s main areas of activity are:
- providing technical management and central support for Birkbeck’s teaching and learning technology systems (such as Moodle, Turnitin and Collaborate; see Resources)
- providing training and support in the use of TEL to academic and administrative staff (see Training and Events)
- developing guides and training materials
- undertaking evaluation and procurement of upgrades and additional software
- co-ordinating and promoting Learning Technology initiatives and events
- delivery of a wider programme of IT training for students and staff (see Training and Events)
To contact ITS, staff should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Service Desk on 020 7531 6543.
The Media Services Centre support classroom audio visual resources including lecture capture, as well as providing photography, video recording, and podcasting services, and maintaining the Birkbeck Cinema.
Subject Librarians are responsible for liaising with specific schools and departments, collection development, information skills training and providing a reference and enquiry service for Library users. The E-Services Team is responsible for the Library’s electronic information services, such as e-books and e-journals, past exam papers, and production of digitised readings (for delivery via Moodle).
The Library have provided more information regarding making use of copyright materials in Moodle here: Copyright for Moodle.
Academic staff wishing request digitisation or requiring advice on the use of e-resources should contact their Subject Librarian in the first instance.
Learning Development Tutor (Technology Enhanced Learning)
Dr Deborah Grange is the Learning Development Tutor (Learning Technology) based within the Centre. She specializes in the pedagogy of TEL and is available for one-to-one appointments and workshops on TEL topics. She also contributes to the College's program of learning development workshops for postgraduates. She may be contacted via email (email@example.com)