The Online Study Studio
The School of Law at Birkbeck is London University’s home for part-time and full-time evening and day time intensive study in Law and Criminology. Enter the online Study Studio for a snapshot of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree courses. Just a few minutes inside our online Study Studio will convince you that whether you are in paid or voluntary work during the day, a busy parent or carer, living outside London or even abroad, you have no reason to delay or put off your studies.
Browse the Online Study Studio:
- Certificate programmes
- Qualifying Law Degree Programmes
- Undergraduate Studies in Criminology
- Combined Studies Undergraduate Programmes
- Postgraduate Taught Masters Programmes
- Research Degrees
- New for 2017/18
- Established in 1992, the School of Law at Birkbeck is an acknowledged centre of excellence for its critical legal and criminal justice scholarship. The School sits within the top ten of Research Intensive University Law Schools in England and Wales (Times Higher Education REF 2014: Subject Ranking on Intensity, Section 20: Law). The School hosts a range of exciting student andpublic engagement projects and events.
- The School has strong links with legal and criminal justice professions and organisations. Its current Professional Visiting Professoriate include Sir Terence Etherton, presently Chancellor of the High Court and Master of the Rolls designate and Juliet Lyon CBE, Head of the Prison Reform Trust. Full time academic staff members Bill Bowring and Eddie Bruce-Jones are founder and Executive Committee member of the Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales and Academic Fellow at the Inner Temple, respectively. The School is deeply involved in reform of the criminal justice system. The Institute for Criminal Policy Research, which sits within the School of Law, has the editorial management of the World Prison Brief and Sarah Lamble is a Steering Group member of the Reclaim Justice Network, working to offer alternatives to incarceration policies and practices. Les Moran’s research into Judicial diversity has been widely disseminated, and he and Daniel Monk host two conversation series, providing the unique opportunity for undergraduate and postgraduate students to look behind Judicial Office and legal practice in the field of social justice.
Our Programmes of Study
- All of our programmes of study combine a critical and interdisciplinary approach to the study of law with a strong vocational orientation. Many of our students choose to study with us because (as the linked Student Profiles attest to) they can combine study with work in the fields of Law and Criminology. Our alumni graduate to successful careers in law – especially at the Bar (Joe Curl, Lauren Godfrey, Claire Dowse), and to full-time academic careers (Richard Joyce, Victoria Ridler, Kevin Barker). Most programmes offer competitive scholarships (Postgraduate Masters), placements (Certificate in Legal Method), and financial contributions to further study (LLB/LLM QLD), and all students are encouraged to take part in our full diary of social events and professional extra-curricular activities.
- Our academic and administrative offices are located across five buildings in Gower Street (4, 12, 14, 16 & 18), close to the Tottenham Court Road, Russell Square and Goodge Street underground stations. A large number of our students are taught in the recently re-designed and re-furbished lecture theatres at Friends House – located just opposite Euston station. Friends House offers comfortable study and social space and a well-stocked café.
- Birkbeck College was founded in 1824 with a resolute access mission that remains strong today and which the School of Law supports. The School’s access mission simply means that the best of teaching and research in Law and Criminology should be available to the broadest constituency of students at a time and within as flexible a framework as resources will allow. You are about to enter our online study tour of programmes.
- Enquires received at firstname.lastname@example.org are guaranteed to be answered within 1 (one) working day.