Help and support
We are experts in understanding our students' needs and providing appropriate support:
Support offered by the School
- Personal tutors: All students are assigned a personal tutor for the duration of their studies. The function of the personal tutor is to provide one-on-one academic support and guidance.
- Developing your skills: During your time with us we expect you to acquire a number of different skills that will allow you to use your knowledge effectively. Our programme is based on the notion that we should introduce you to skills, give you time to acquire them, practice them and then assess you. Our students can get help from their lecturer, seminar tutor, personal tutor or the Academic Support Officer, as all of these will provide practical support and advice.
- Mentoring: From 2010 the School will be introducing a mentoring scheme. This scheme, which will pair current students with Birkbeck law graduates, will provide additional support for those students who would most benefit from it. Initially it will be open to students in their second year to apply for a mentor, with the intention that the scheme will be available for those in other years from 2011. Mentors will be able to provide advice and guidance on how to manage work and study and how to draft curricula vitae and prepare for employment interviews, as well as to give general support.
- Email networks: Staff in the school are increasingly making use of email and email networks to communicate with students outside of teaching hours, via the Blackboard virtual learning environment. Because so many of our students work during the day, we find that students are often keen to maintain contact in this way to pose questions and arrange meetings.
- Careers support in the School
- Postgraduate funding opportunities
Other support available to you
- My Birkbeck Helpdesk: At the My Birkbeck Helpdesk we can help you with all your application and enrolment queries. The Helpdesk can be found to the left of the main entrance to the College via Torrington Square.
- Disability and dyslexia support: we can offer you advice about disability access, support in lectures and seminars, accessible information, and support for assessments.
- Financial support for undergraduate students: if, like many first time undergraduate students you are concerned about the costs of studying, you will be reassured to know that at Birkbeck, we are committed to helping you find ways to gain the financial support you need to achieve your ambitions.
- Help with study skills and other learning support issues: our expert study skills team offer a wide range of study skills and learning support to help you while you're studying.
- Evening nursery
- Computing and IT support
Please contact us for more information on the support you will get as a student in our School.