Short-term student visa

This visa allows students who are 18 years old or over to enter the UK to study a short course of no more than six months, re-sit examinations, repeat a module or attend their viva.

If you are coming to the UK for a short period of full-time study and planning to continue onto further full-time studies in the UK (eg taking a pre-sessional course followed by a full-time Master’s programme), you should apply for a Tier 4 (general) student visa.

If you don't have to obtain a visa before your arrival to the UK (check the Home Office visa national list to find out if this applies to you) and you are planning to request a short-term study visa upon arrival in the UK, you must include the relevant documents in your hand luggage and speak to an immigration officer when you arrive.

Visa restrictions

  • This visa has certain restrictions which include the following:
    • You can stay in the UK for a maximum of six months or by the completion of your course (whichever is sooner).
    • You will not be able to work here - this includes paid, unpaid and voluntary work, and work placements.
    • You cannot bring your dependant(s).
    • Your visa cannot be renewed or switched to a different visa category in the UK.

Required documents

How and when to apply

  • You can apply up to three months before the date that you intend to travel to the UK.
  • Depending on where you live, you may be able to make your application online.