Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Kenya can apply directly for an undergraduate degree with the following qualifications:
- Diploma with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 or equivalent from a recognised institution (at the discretion of the department - this is a vocational qualification)
- Higher Diploma with a final GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 or equivalent from a recognised institution (first- or second-year entry at the discretion of the department)
- completion of one year of a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited university with a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28 to 30, depending on the course.
- Applicants from Kenya who have completed the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the university. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
Postgraduate entry requirements
- To be considered for entry onto a Master’s degree at Birkbeck, you must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university. Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and you may be admitted to Master's programmes with a lower-level degree if you have work experience relevant to the degree applied for.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for 2- or 3-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Kenyan degree classification
- 1st (alternative classifications: A/70-100%; alternative name: Excellent; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 2:1 (alternative classifications: B/60-69%; alternative name: Good; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 2:2 (alternative classifications: C/50-59%; alternative name: Satisfactory; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- The usual entrance requirement for a research degree is a Master’s degree from a recognised university with a grade of at least 65% or a GPA of 3.0/4.0 or equivalent; or a Doctorate/PhD from a public or chartered (fully accredited) private university with a final grade of at least 65% or a GPA of 3.0/4.0 (this qualification is considered comparable to the UK MPhil/PhD standard). Students with high grades in the Bachelor’s degree can be accepted onto the MPhil/PhD at the discretion of the department.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Find out about our international scholarships.