Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Chile who have completed the Licencia de Educación Media will normally require a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the University. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- Applicants who have completed one year at a Chilean university may be considered for direct entry.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28 to 30, depending on the course.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 7 (descriptors and meaning: Muy bueno, very good)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 6 (descriptors and meaning: Muy bueno, very good)
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.5
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5 (descriptors and meaning: Bueno, good)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4.8
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4.5
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4 (descriptors and meaning: Suficiente, average).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Chile need to have completed a 4-year Licenciatura/Professional title in order to enter onto a Master’s degree.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for two- or three-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s degrees at Birkbeck.
- Chilean degree classification:
- 6-7 (alternative name: Muy bueno; English translation or equivalent: 1st)
- 5-5.9 (alternative name: Bueno; English translation or equivalent: 2:1)
- 4-4.9 (alternative name: Suficiente; English translation or equivalent: 2:2).
Research degrees entry requirements
- To be considered for entry to a research degree, applicants must have successfully completed a Master's degree from a recognised institution.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Find out about our international scholarships.