Undergraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Bulgaria can apply for direct entry onto Birkbeck’s undergraduate degrees; a Diploma za Sredno Spetsialno Obrazovani (Диплома за Средно Специално Образование, Diploma of Completed Secondary Specialised Education) or Диплома за Cредно Oбразование (Diploma of Completed Secondary Education) when awarded after four years of study, is required. Exact requirements will depend on the course, but students usually need to obtain at least a 5.0 or above.
- Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or A-levels will be considered for direct admission to our undergraduate degree programmes. IB requirements range from 28 to 30, depending on the course.
- Students who fall short of the requirement can also take a Foundation course for entry onto undergraduate programmes at the University. These offer the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto Birkbeck’s Bachelor programmes.
- A-level AAA = 144 UCAS tariff points: 360 = comparable offer 6.0 (comparable offer: A = 6)
- A-level AAB = 136 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.8
- A-level ABB = 128 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.6
- A-level BBB = 120 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.4 (comparable offer: B = 5)
- A-level BBC = 112 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.2
- A-level BCC = 104 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 5.0
- A-level CCC = 96 UCAS tariff points = comparable offer 4.8 (comparable offer: C = 4).
Postgraduate entry requirements
- Applicants from Bulgaria need to have completed a Bachelor’s degree/Diploma za Zavarsheno Visshe Obrazovanie (Diploma of Completed Higher Education) from a recognised institution.
- Relevant work experience may also be considered for students whose GPAs are slightly below the preferred requirements.
- If you do not meet these criteria, you can apply for Birkbeck’s International Foundation Programme, which acts as a bridge between undergraduate and postgraduate study, preparing students to study a Master’s degree in the UK. There are progression pathways onto various courses at Birkbeck.
- Another option is the Master's Foundation programme, which is available for two- or three-term progression onto a wide range of Master’s Degrees at Birkbeck.
- Bulgarian degree classification:
- 5.5-6 (alternative name: Otlichen; English translation or equivalent: Excellent = 1st)
- 4.25-5.49 (alternative name: Mnogo Dobur; English translation or equivalent: Very good = 2:1)
- 3.5-4.24 (alternative name: Dobur; English translation or equivalent: Good = 2:2)
- 3.0-3.49 (English translation or equivalent: Pass = Third class)
Research degrees entry requirements
- For entry onto our research degree courses, students should normally have a Master’s degree.
- Applicants are strongly urged to contact potential supervisors within the department before submitting a research application.
Find out about our international scholarships.