Human Resources

Appearing as a witness or as an expert witness

Employees will normally be granted time off where they have been requested to attend court as a witness or as an expert witness. However, they must notify their line manager of the request at the earliest opportunity.

As with jury service, the employee must submit the ‘Certificate of Loss of Earnings or Benefit’ that they receive from the Court Service to Payroll at the earliest opportunity. The employee must then take the completed form with them when they attend court. During attendance at the court, employees should claim from the court, any compensation for loss of earnings. Birkbeck will then pay the difference between such entitlements and normal average earnings.

Upon return to work the employee must submit to Payroll a completed Attendance Payments for Public Duties form (see appendix) together with evidence of the actual payments claimed and received (i.e. the Remittance Advice) from the court. Payroll will then make the appropriate adjustments to pay; superannuation contributions will not be affected.

Employees will also be entitled to claim any travel or subsistence expenses that they may have incurred from the court and these will not be taken into account in the deductions from salary.

back to top
The HR team is based on the first floor of Egmont House
Postal address: Human Resources, Birkbeck, University of London, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX