Why study Archaeology at Birkbeck?
Our full-time academic staff are engaged in a number of research projects and field work across the Ancient world, with a focus on the Mediterranean and Britain. Certain courses are taught by visiting or sessional lecturers, many of whom are professional archaeologists who are brought in to provide our students with up-to-date practice and state of research.
Birkbeck Field School
- Find some information on a field school with which the Department is involved.
Short courses and certificates
- View all our short courses and Certificates of Higher Education.
- Watch a video of Syon House Archaeological Training Excavation
- On our BA in Archaeology and BA in History and Archaeology you will be taught by leading experts who are engaged in fieldwork and archaeological research.
- Practical archaeological experience is a key element, and you will participate in field trips, museum visits and a study weekend.
- Birkbeck also has an active student Archaeology Society.
Postgraduate study (MA)
- Our introduces advanced archaeological methods and practice.
- We also offer an
- Designed to teach the methods and practice of contemporary archaeology, it is suitable for both volunteer and professional archaeologists and has much to offer anyone interested in developing an understanding of this exciting discipline.