- Study here title
Every year, close to 1000 students choose to study in the Department of History, Classics and Archaeology. Here are just some of the reasons why:
Flexible course delivery
- Most of our Master's programmes can be taken in one year full-time or two years part-time.
- Our MPhil/PhDs can be taken either full-time or part-time.
- Most of our undergraduate students choose to study part-time, completing Bachelor's degrees in four years.
- Classes for BA and MA courses are scheduled in the evenings, while tutorials and PhD supervision take place at times mutually convenient for students and staff.
Expert teaching staff
- Birkbeck is ranked first in the UK for teaching, as well as being first in London and joint fifth in the UK (with the University of Oxford) for overall student satisfaction.
- Our teaching staff appreciate the special qualities of mature students.
- Our specialist sessional lecturers bring an impressive breadth of expertise and experience, as well as a passion for their subject, to their teaching.
- We offer courses at undergraduate and MA level that cover a very wide breadth of history including prehistory, ancient, medieval, early modern, modern, and contemporary. We also offer courses on a wide number of areas, and have particular teaching strengths in British, European and world history, urban history, the history of gender and sexuality, and the history of science, medicine and psychoanalysis. For more on our areas of research please look here.
- We are ranked among the top five departments in the UK for research.
- Our academic staff are recognised internationally as authorities in their field.
- We offer a superb range of doctoral supervision, for the prestigious and world-class University of London PhD.
- Our highly regarded and internationally recognised MA programmes lead to a University of London Master's qualification.
- Our academic staff regularly convene and organise internationally attended conferences and events.
Diverse student community
- We are home to a growing community of full-time postgraduate international students.
- Most of our students are over 25, which means they bring valuable insights, gained from their jobs or private interests, to their studies, providing a dynamic and engaging learning experience for everyone.
- We offer a range of financial support to Master's and research students.
- Our PhD students have also been successful in obtaining both doctoral and post-doctoral awards from funding bodies such as the AHRC.
- Aside from a one-off instalment upon enrolling, no fees are taken until teaching begins.
- We are located in the heart of London's unsurpassed academic quarter, and within easy walking distance of some of the world's most prestigious libraries, archives and museums.
- Full-time international students and postgraduate research students can apply for accommodation in the University of London Halls of Residence, located in the heart of Bloomsbury.