Dr Minna Lammi
Honorary Research Fellow
- My work has focused on consumption, ideals of consumption and especially symbolic and aesthetic aspects of politics and consumption. In my doctoral dissertation (2006) I focused on images of consumer society in Finnish short films, and later work on representations of the household and frugality as well as on Finnish cultural ideals.
- I am working as a Head of Research at the National Consumer Research Centre Finland (NCRC). This state-owned research institute is the leading Finnish centre for research on consumer society and its past, present and future changes. We have close ties with academia, and are focal in both producing and transmitting research on consumers and consumption.
- At Birkbeck I am working in a research project 'Imagining Economy in Finnish Advertising and Journalism' funded by the Academy of Finland (2011-2013). The project studies cultural representations of the economy in the Finnish public sphere from the early 1950s to the new millennium. Historically the study covers a fair part of the development of the Finnish consumer society. My subproject pays particular attention to current affairs television programs, short films and TV ads and their representations of the market economy in post-war era. I’m preparing articles and a book about the topics for this project.
- Some recent publications
- Minna Lammi, Petteri Repo and Päivi Timonen (2011) Consumerism and Citizenship in the Context of Climate Change. In Mikko Rask, Richard Worthington, Minna Lammi (eds.) (2011) Citizen Participation in Global Environmental Governance. London, Earthscan, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Minna Lammi, Mika Pantzar (2010) The Fabulous New Material Culture. How plastics were introduced to Finnish consumers. Österreichische Zeitschrift für Geschichtswissenschaften 2/2010: 105-129
- Minna Lammi, Mika Pantzar (2010) Feelings of trust: how educational short films turned suspicion into feelings of trust in industry in the 1920s and 1930s In Pirjo Laaksonen, Henna Jyrinki (eds.) The roots and fruits of the Nordic consumer research. Vaasan yliopiston julkaisuja. Selvityksiä ja raportteja. Proceedings of the University of Vaasa. Reports 2010; (163): 153-172
- Minna Lammi, Päivi Timonen (2010) From production to consumption: the reshaping of gardening ideals in the modern consumer societies of Finland and Great Britain In Pirjo Laaksonen, Henna Jyrinki (eds.) The roots and fruits of the Nordic consumer research. Vaasan yliopiston julkaisuja. Selvityksiä ja raportteja. Proceedings of the University of Vaasa. Reports 2010; (163): 173-187
- Minna Lammi (2009): 'Home comes first' : housing and homemaking in Finnish civic educational films during 1945-1969. International Journal of Consumer Studies 2009; 33 (5): 533-540