The Department of History, Classics and Archaeology is renowned as a centre of original and influential research that is characteristically transnational and comparative in approach.
In the most recent national Research Excellence Framework (2014), the Department of History, Classics and Archaeology was ranked 7th among all history departments in Britain (THS research intensity table), with 85% of its research portfolio deemed of world leading or internationally excellent quality.
Our research reputation is founded upon our success in:
- publishing highest quality research in 23 languages
- organising and participating in internationally significant research events and conferences
- collaborating with affiliated research centres and scholars worldwide
- winning external grants and post-doctoral fellowships, including major awards from bodies such as the AHRC, the Leverhulme Trust and the Wellcome Trust
- expanding our postgraduate community and provisions for research training.