Early modern society
What are we about?
We are a trans-disciplinary society whose members are interested in life during the early modern period, which we define as starting during the Renaissance and finishing with the French Revolution.
The Birkbeck Early Modern Society was made student society of the year at the Birkbeck Student Union Awards of 2010.
We are interested in all facets of life at this time, and the ideas that were in circulation. Areas of particular interest are:
- art and images
- gender roles
- religion and belief
- travel and exploration.
Who is it for?
This is a thriving society and we welcome new members, be they students, alumni, staff, or friends.
Our aims are to:
- organise educational activities, such as lectures and visits
- provide a forum for students and staff to present papers on work in progress
- throw the best parties!
- Friday 30 November: Dr Tara Hamling, ‘Beyond the Closet: Material Props for Domestic Devotion in Post-Reformation England’, Malet St, room B02
- 14 December: The Second Barry Coward Memorial Lecture: Prof. Brian Vickers, ‘Can We Distinguish Science from Magic?’ room Malet Street 352, followed by our Xmas party in Malet Street 151
- 25 January 2013, Dr Adam Smyth, ‘Cutting up Books in Early Modern England’ Malet St, room 538
- Saturday 2 Feb, Conference ‘Science, Magic and Religion’, Malet St room B33 with refreshments in B30.
- Friday 22 February, Katherine Hunt, ‘ “Impetuous Huzzahs and Horrid Noise”: The Sound and the Practice of Bell Ringing in Seventeenth-Century England’, room tbc
- Friday 22 March, Dr Richard Williams, ‘Realism in the Art of Jan van Eyck’, Malet St, room 414
- Friday 26 April, Prof. Vanessa Harding, ‘Domestic Economies: London Households in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth centuries’, room B30, Malet Street
- 24 May, Dr Laura Gowing, ‘Gender, Custom and the City: Female Apprentices in Late Seventeenth-Century London’
- Thursday 6 June, June: Prof. Lyndal Roper, 'Love, Anger and Envy: Emotions and the Early Reformation’, room B20, Malet Street followed by our end of year party in room B04.
Officers and committee members
President: Stephen Brogan
Treasurer: Becky Tomlin
Secretary: Laura Jacobs
Committee members: Timothy Alves, Karen Baston, Alistair Brown, Nigel Carter, Karen Chester, Sue Dale, Robin Rowles, Simon Smith
How to join us
Membership can be obtained in person at any of our events.
Membership for the academic year is £5 and you will be provided with a membership card. Once a member, there is no charge to attend our academic events, and we will not charge for as many other events as is possible. We may be able to offer special rates to members for our other events and conferences. Alternatively, non-members can attend all of our academic events at a cost of £3 each.
We organise other events such as guided walks, trips to galleries and museums, and we hold a regular film night: the details of these events are e-mailed to members.
So turn up, pay and become part of this exciting society! By the way, you do not have to be a Birkbeck student to join the EMS.
Get in touch
For information about the society please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To visit our blog please go to www.emintelligencer.org.uk