Surrounded by other colleges in the University of London and based in central London, Birkbeck offers access to a wealth of world-class research resources.
Computing facilities and labs
- We have excellent research facilities, with three computing/GIS laboratories running a wide range of software on IBM and Macintosh PCs and Unix workstations.
- We are well-provided with equipment for fieldwork, and there is a large laboratory with equipment such as flumes and wind tunnels for process studies.
Superb library access
- Birkbeck library
- Birkbeck electronic library
- British Library: undergraduates, postgraduates and staff can have access to the library.
- British Library of Political and Economic Science (LSE): reference access is allowed. Research, part-time and distance learning students may also borrow via the SCONUL Access Scheme.
- Royal Geographical Society: one of the world’s largest geographical collections containing over two million maps, photographs, books, artwork, artefacts and documents. Reference access is free to students.
- School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS): Postgraduates, part-time and distance learning students may borrow via the SCONUL Access Scheme.
- Senate House Library (University of London): Birkbeck students have free access to Senate House Library including borrowing rights. Distance learners can register without visiting in person and many of the library's e-resources are accessible remotely.
- UCL Environmental Studies Library: Reference only for undergraduates and taught postgraduate students. Research students and staff may borrow via the SCONUL Access Scheme.
- UCL Science Library: Reference only for undergraduates and taught postgraduate students. Research students and staff may borrow via the SCONUL Access Scheme.