Click here to generate a text only version of this page
Click here to go to the Birkbeck, University of London home page
Click here for help with using the Birkbeck web site
The Finance Department


Contact details: Management/Insurance Accountant

Are my personal belongings covered by College insurance policies?

No, the insurance policy does not cover theft of personal property.

Is College property covered by College insurance policies?

Yes it is. However, there is a high excess (currently £10,000). So the College will not be able to claim for property stolen or damaged if the total value of the claim is less than £10,000.

Does the College have a Travel Insurance Policy?

The College does have a policy and it covers Birkbeck staff and students travelling outside of the UK on Birkbeck business. This would include Research trips, conferences and seminars – as long as they relate to your employment at the College.

Is everyone automatically insured under the Travel Insurance Policy?

No.   Staff need to have their own unique Business Traveller Card before they travel. The card contains the emergency phone number to ring and the reference number to quote. 

I need an insurance certificate

Certificates for Employer's Liability and Public Liability are available to download.

Information for Claimant Solicitors (Ministry of Justice Reforms)

Claims relating to Employers’ Liability (EL) and Public Liability (PL) should be submitted as an electronic Claim Notification Form (CNF)  to our insurers via their Portal.

Public Liability & Employers’ Liability insurance provider details:

Zurich Municipal Insurance, 1 East Parade, Leeds, LS1 2AA

Policy No: NHE-01CA08-0013

Portal Compensator ID: C00108


Find out more about the benefits and restrictions of the travel insurance policy.

back to top

Finance Department, Birkbeck, University of London, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX. Departmental Office tel.:  020 7380 3145, fax.: 020 7380 3221