- (with Martin Brady), Wim Wenders and Peter Handke: Collaboration, Adaptation, Recomposition, Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2011.
This is the first volume in English to examine in detail one of the most remarkable collaborations between a writer and filmmaker in European cinema. Focusing on the four films Wim Wenders and Peter Handke made between 1969 and 1986 (3 American LPs, The Goalkeeper’s Fear of the Penalty, Wrong Move, and Wings of Desire), it explores the productive tension between adaptation and collaboration and demonstrates the different ways in which text- and image-makers can recompose film’s constituent media (literature, still and moving images, music, drama). The study reveals that this partnership had significant aesthetic and conceptual repercussions for both artists, resulting in a series of single-authored works which manifest the same kinds of intertextuality and disjunctive intermediality that are the hallmark of the collaborations themselves. These include Wenders’s Alice in the Cities, Handke’s films The Chronicle of On-Going Events and The Left-Handed Woman and his novels Short Letter, Long Farewell and A Moment of True Feeling. While the Wenders-Handke partnership is unique, it contributes to a broader understanding of cinematic adaptation and different models of intermedial collaboration.
- American cinema and the construction of masculinity in film in the Federal Republic after 1945â, German Life and Letters, 65.1 (2012), 59-72
- The interpersonal is political: locating the ethical subject in Katharina Hackerâs Die Habenichtseâ, Angermion, 4 (2011), 165-82
- (with Klaus-Dieter Rossade), ‘Negotiating gender, sexuality and ethnicity in Fatih Akin’s and Thomas Arslan’s urban spaces’, GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 3/2008.
- ‘Time, transformation and tradition in Oskar Roehler’s Die Unberührbare’, GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 1/2006, 76-89.
- ‘Berlin – still a divided city? Ideological dualism in post-Wende fiction’, GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 1/2003, 30-44.
- ‘The End of Fiction: Botho Strauß’s Kongreß. Die Kette der Demütigungen and Fragmente der Undeutlichkeit, Seminar, 35 (1999), 134-54.
- ‘The Politics of “Innerlichkeit”: Karin Struck’s Klassenliebe and Verena Stefan’s Häutungen’, German Life and Letters, 50 (1997), 508-28.
Chapter in books
- Troubled parents, angry children: the difficult legacy of 1968 in contemporary German filmâ, in Gabriele Mueller and James M. Skidmore (eds), Cinema and Social Change in Germany and Austria, Waterloo, Canada: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2012, pp. 115-132
- Re-stabilizing masculinity through autobiography after 1968’, in Heinz-Peter Preußer and Helmut Schmitz (eds), Autobiographie und historische Krisenerfahrung (Jahrbuch Literatur und Politics, 5), Heidelberg: Winter, 2010, pp. 177-92
- ‘Sexuality and the City: a comparison of Irmgard Keun’s Das kunstseidene Mädchen and Tanja Dücker’s Spielzone’, in Berlin. Kultur und Metropole in den zwanziger und seit den neunziger Jahren, ed. Godela Weiss-Sussex and Ulrike Zitzlsperger, Munich: Iudicium, 2007, pp. 29-43.
- ‘The Politics of “Innerlichkeit”: Karin Struck’s Klassenliebe and Verena Stefan’s Häutungen’, in Gendering German Studies, ed. Margaret Littler, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997, pp. 130-50.
Edited journal numbers:
- ‘Cultural Reflections on Migration Experiences’ Special Issue, with Klaus-Dieter Rossade, GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 3/2008.
- ‘Cinema and Migration since Unification’, Special Issue, with Klaus-Dieter Rossade. GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 1/2008
- ‘German Film since the “Wende”’, Special Issue, GfL :German as a Foreign Language, 1/2006
- ‘German Film since the “Wende” (2), Special Issue, GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 3/2006
- ‘Berlin, 2001: A City Odyssey’. Special Issue, GfL: German as a Foreign Language, 1/2003
- From 2003 and 2007 I contributed the chapter on German literature since 1945 to The Years Work in Modern Langauge Studies, an annual critical bibliography of literature in Romance and Celtic, Germanic, and Slavonic studies.
- ‘Neue Subjektivität’, ‘Nicolas Born’ and ‘Verena Stefan’ in The Encyclopedia of Contemporary German Culture, ed. John Sandford, London-New York: Routledge, 1999.
- Tim Bergfelder, Erica Carter and Deniz Göktürk (eds), The German Cinema Book, GFL: German as a Foreign Language 2/2004, 126-29
- (with J. J. White) Keith Bullivant, The Future of German Literature, Modern Language Review, 92 (1997), 257-59.
- Michael Kämper van den Boogaar, Ästhetik des Scheiterns. Studien zur Erzähltexten von Botho Strauß, Jürgen Theobaldy Uwe Timm, Info Deutsch als Fremdsprache, 21 (1994), 247-50.