Awards and prizes
Congressional Medal of Honour
- Professor William Rowe
- For: his contribution to Peruvian culture as teacher, critic and translator. Professor Rowe has produced classical works of criticism on the novels of Jose Maria Arguedas and the poetry of Cesar Vallejo. He has translated the work of many poets from Peru as well as from other Latin America countries.
This is a major recognition of his outstanding contribution to Latin American Studies.
- Awarded by: Peruvian Congress
Colby Prize 2009: Best Scholarly Book In the Field of Victorian Periodicals
- Awarded to: Laurel Brake, Professor Emerita of Literature and Print Culture, and Marysa Demoor, University of Ghent. Laurel is a long-standing member of Birkbeck’s Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies.
- For: their Dictionary of Nineteenth-Century Journalism in paper and online, published by the British Library, Academia, and ProQuest.
- Awarded by: Research Society for Victorian Periodicals
James Russell Lowell Prize
- Awarded to: Isobel Armstrong, a Fellow of Birkbeck and Professor Emerita
- For: her book Victorian Glassworlds: Glass Culture and the Imagination 1830-1880