Reader in Economics
MA, PhD (Columbia)
- labour economics
- "Job Protection, Growth and Macroeconomic Shocks", with Yu-Fu Chen and Dennis Snower. Forthcoming in Labour.
- "Is Wage Compression Necessary for General Training?" with Alison Booth. Forthcoming in Oxford Economic Papers.
- "Wage Distribution and Unemployment", with Jean-Paul Fitoussi, in The 1990s Slump: Causes and Cures, ed. M. Baldassari, MacMillan Press, London, 1996, p. 57-92.
- "Can Structural Factors Account for the Slump of the 1990s?", with Edmund S. Phelps, in The 1990s Slump: Causes and Cures, ed. M. Baldassari, MacMillan Press, London, 1996, p. 115-137.
- "Wages ahead of Demand", with J. Michael Orszag, Economics Letters, 53 (1996), p. 341-347.
- "Challenges facing Natural Rate Theory", with Marco Bianchi, European Economic Review, 41 (1997), p. 535-547.
- "The Rise and Falling Trend of the Natural Rate", with Edmund Phelps, American Economic Review, American Economic Association Papers and Proceedings, 87 (1997), no 2, p. 283-289.
- "Public Consumption and Unemployment", Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 44 (1997), p. 269-279.
- "Natural Rate Theory and Europe's Unemployment", with Edmund Phelps. The Economic Journal, 108 (1998), p. 782-801.
- "Unemployment Persistence: Does the Size of the Shock Matter?", with Marco Bianchi. The Journal of Applied Econometrics, 13 (3), (1998), p. 283-304.
- "A Mixed Blessing: Natural Resources in an Endogenous Growth Model", with Thorvaldur Gylfason and Tryggvi Herbertsson. Macroeconomic Dynamics, 3 (1999), p. 204-225.
- "A Nonparametric Analysis of Regional Unemployment Dynamics in Britain", with Marco Bianchi. Journal of Business, Economics and Statistics, 17 (2), (1999).
- "Quitting Externalities with Uncertainty about Future Productivity", with Alison Booth. Oxford Economic Papers, 51 (1999), p. 374-386.
- "How Effecive are Firing Costs?", with Yu-Fu Chen. Labour Economics, 6 (3) (1999), p. 335-35.
- "Education and the Natural Rate of Unemployment", with J. Michael Orszag and Edmund S. Phelps. Oxford Economic Papers, 52 (2000), p. 204-223.
- "Trade Surpluses and Life-cyce Saving Behaviour", with Tryggvi Herbertsson. Economics Letters, 65 (2000), p. 227-237.
- "Roots of the Nascent Recoveries: Market Forces, Sound Finance, Labor Reforms and Enterprise Policy" with Jean-Paul Fitoussi, David Jestaz and Edmund S. Phelps. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 2000. p. 237-291.
- "The Implications of EMU for European Labour Markets", ed. Tito Boeri. Product Market Competition and the Labour Market, MIT Press, 2000, p. 368-221.
- "Stocks and Jobs: the Valuation of Firms and Business Assets as a Factor in Structural Slumps and Booms", with Edmund S. Phelps. Economic Policy, April, 2001, p. 85-126.
- "An Icelandic Natural Experiment in Supply-side Economics", with Marco Bianchi and Bjorn Gudmundsson. American Economic Review, December, 2001, p. 1564-1579.
- "Testing the Persistence and Structuralist Theories of Unemployment" with Jerry Coakley and Ana-Maria Fuertes. Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 2001, p. 179-202.
- "The Incidence of Increased Unemployment in the Group of Seven, 1970-1994", with Edmund Phelps. Festschrift in honour of Professor Drandakis, Athens School of Business and Economics,2002, p. 154-180.
- "Hiring and Firing: A Tale of Two Thresholds", with Alison Booth and Yu-Fu Chen. Journal of Labor Economics, 2002. 9
- "Ownership and Growth", with Thorvaldur Gylfason and Tryggvi Herbertsson. World Bank Economic Review, 2002. 9
- "The British Beveridge Curve: A Tale of Ten Regions", with Howard J. Wall. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 2002.
- "The Modigliani "Puzzle"", with Tryggvi Herbertsson. Economics Letters, 2002.
- "The Welfare Implications of Firing Costs", with Alison Booth. Forthcoming in the European Journal of Political Economy.
- "Unions, Training and Wages: Evidence for British Men", with Alison Booth and Marco Francesconi. Forthcoming in the Industrial and Labor Relations Review.
Recent Working Papers
- If you’re so smart, why aren't you rich? Wage inequality with heterogeneous workers, August 2001, (with Alison L. Booth)
- Unions, Training and Wages: Evidence for British Men, August 2001, (with Booth, A. L. and Francesconi, M.)
- Exchange-Rate Volatility as Employment Protection, July 2001, (with Yu-Fu Chen).
- The Modigliani “Puzzle”, 2001, (with Tryggvi Herbertsson).
- Worker Heterogeneity and General Training, July 2001 (with Alison L Booth).
- Natural Resources and Economic Growth: the Role of Investment. Birkbeck College, January 2001 (with Thorvaldur Gylfason).
- Is Wage Compression A necessary Condition for Firm-Financial General Training?, May 2001 (with Alison L Booth).
- Obsolescence, May 2001 (with Thorvaldur Gylfason).
- Labour Market Institutions and Macroeconomics Shocks. Birkbeck College, March 2001 (with Yu-Fu Chen and Dennis Snower).
- ETA II Macroeconomics (MSc Economics)
- Barro, R J (1991). Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries.
- Barro, R J; Sala-I-Martin, X; Blanchard, O J; Hall, R (1991). Convergence Across States and Regions.
- Gordon, R (Feb 2002). Technology & Economic Performance in the American Economy.
- Gordon, R (Oct 2002). Two Centuries of Economic Growth: Europe Chasing the American Frontier.
- Gordon, R (2003). Exploding Productivity Growth: Context, Causes & Implications.
- Jorgenson, D; Ho, M S; Stiroh, K J (April 2002). Information Technology, Education, and the Sources of Economic Growth across U.S. Industries.
- Nickell, S (2002/4). A Picture of European Unemployment: Success and Failure.
- Smith, R; Zoega G (March 2004). Global Shocks and World Adjustment.
- Young, A (August 1995). The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience.