Associate Lecturer, Music
Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies
School of Arts,
Birkbeck, University of London
tel: 020 7631 6660 (messages)
Originally from Swansea, Pauline left Nottingham University with a degree specialising in composition then worked in the theatre for some years, composing and performing her own music for new productions. Moving to London, she continued to compose and also began teaching the flute and composition. Her performing group The Concert Party played her music at the Edinburgh Festival and the Purcell Room.
She began lecturing in Harmony and Counterpoint for Birkbeck and this has led to her current post as Associate Lecturer and Award Co-Ordinator in Music, specialising in opera. She also lectures at London Studio Centre (University of the Arts) where she teaches dancers about jazz, contemporary, ballet and theatre music, and gives talks at the Royal Opera House and the Wigmore Hall as part of their Education Programmes.
She is External Examiner for the University of Middlesex and the University of Hertfordshire. She has recently completed a PG Cert in Learning and Teaching at the University of the Arts, including a research project on hearing and listening, and is planning a higher degree in composition.
As a performer she sings with the Athenean Singers and plays in several small orchestras. A recent first was performing as reciter in Walton’s Façade at the Trinity Festival in Rayleigh, Essex.
- Birkbeck, University of London: Lecturer in Musical Techniques and Composition, Opera Studies, Reading Music with Confidence, Study Days on music from Renaissance to the present day and many general music history courses.
- Royal Opera House Education: Lecturer
- Wigmore Hall Education Department: Lecturer
- London Studio Centre (Univ. of Middlesex): Lecturer on jazz, contemporary music, music for ballet, and music theatre.
- University of Middlesex: External Examiner
- External Assessor, University of Surrey
- Lecturer in vocal writing and arranging, Morley College
- Head of Music at St Philip's School and Thomas's London Day Schools
- Private teacher of composition, flute, piano
- Composer and Musical Director for various theatre companies in London, Bristol, Colchester and Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Flautist and composer with group The Concert Party, performing at the Edinburgh Festival, Purcell Room, National Trust properties, music societies etc.
- Concert and broadcast performances of compositions on BBC
- Radio London, BBC Radio 4 Wales, on children's television, and in St John's Smith Square
- Performances as singer with The Abbots Choir