Why study with us?
We are specialists in part-time study
- Birkbeck remains the only college in the University of London that specialises in providing part-time degrees. And we've been doing this since 1823, so we have a lot of experience of supporting students who choose to realise their education ambitions while working full-time.
You can study at any level
- We offer short courses and certificates of higher education, through to BAs, master's degrees and MPhil/PhDs. Whatever level you're at, you'll find a course to suit you.
Our evening study allows you to do more
- All our courses, both part-time and full-time (at postgraduate level) are taught in the evening, between 6pm and 9pm.
We are part of a unique institution
- Birkbeck is part of the University of London. As such, we combine a high-quality research culture with courses specifically designed for students who have diverse backgrounds, activities and interests.
- Many already have successful careers and are seeking to retrain in a new sector. Others have delayed university entrance owing to negative experiences of the education system in the past or because of funding problems. And the interaction between such a range of students means you can learn as much from each other as you do from our lecturers.
Our staff are experts
- Our academic staff are recognised experts in their fields and approach their subjects in an innovative way within a vibrant research culture. We are particularly interested in the contribution which the creative industries make to the life and economy of London, nationally and internationally.
- The Centre for Media, Culture and Creative Industries brings together research interests in arts institutions, public art, contemporary European cinema, the early days of the BBC, postcolonial film archiving, the phenomenology of war reporting, media, politics and cities, issues of gender in Japanese culture, and contemporary no-global movements.
We provide the support you need
- In addition to lectures and seminars, we will allocate you a personal tutor who can provide you with one-to-one advice throughout the course of your degree. In addition, you can use Birkbeck's wide range of student support and services while you are here.
You can get access to world-class libraries
- We are located in Bloomsbury in the centre of London and surrounded by many other University of London colleges and libraries.
- As a student here, you will have access to the College library and the University of London Library at Senate House, both of which are a short walk away. The British Film Institute library is just a short distance away.
Our courses offer high-quality research-led teaching
- Since our foundation, we have achieved an enviable reputation as a centre of innovative scholarship, teaching and learning.
- Our general teaching strategy is to ensure that, as far as is practicable, staff should be able to teach to their research. This ensures that our students are introduced to cutting-edge debates about the subjects they study by teachers who are making a significant contribution to the field.
Our courses will help you in the future
- We aim to provide an education in that is critical, questioning and creative for students from all backgrounds. We believe the education they receive will enable them to make the most of their opportunities and achieve the results that they desire.
- The practical and vocational courses we offer are taught by lecturers chosen for their professional expertise in the areas of arts management, media management, screenwriting, journalism, music, dance, acting and opera singing.
- This ensures that our students develop skills in and experience the creative process, as well as studying the resulting texts.