Departmental Research Ethics Officers (DREO)
The Departmental Research Ethics Officer should be a research active member of the academic staff of Birkbeck with at least 3 years’ post-probationary experience.
The specific responsibilities of the role are:
- To ensure that there is a departmental procedure for the ethical approval of research projects in place and that a written record is kept of approvals and decisions.
- To attend SEC meetings.
- To contribute to the annual report of the SEC to the College Ethics Committee by providing information the cases considered for ethical approval in the department. This includes:
- Number of cases considered;
- type of research;
- ethical issues;
- action required (if any);
- particular difficulties encountered;
- any changes in departmental procedures
- To ensure that mechanisms are in place for approval by appropriate external bodies (e.g. NHS) if relevant and to liaise with those bodies where necessary.
- To promote awareness of ethical principles among students and staff.
- To report to the School and/or College Ethics Committees any training or development needs related to ethical issues and approval procedures.
|School of Arts||2015-16 Research Ethics Officers|
|Cultures and Languages|
|English and Humanities|
|History of Art|
|Film, Media and Cultural Studies|
|School of Business, Economics and Informatics||2015-16 Research Ethics Officers|
|Computer Science and Information Systems||Professor Michael Zakharyaschev|
|Economics, Maths and Statistics||Professor Ron Smith|
|Management||Dr Marion Frenz|
|Organisational Psychology||Dr George Michaelides|
|School of Science||2015-16 Research Ethics Officers|
|Biological Sciences||Dr Richard Hayward|
|Earth and Planetary Sciences||Professor Charlie Bristow|
|Psychological Sciences||Dr Emily Jones|
|School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy||2015-16 Research Ethics Officers|
|Applied Linguistics and Communication||Professor Marjorie Lorch|
|Geography, Environment and Development Studies||Dr Richard Baxter (Until January 2016) Dr Penny Vera-Sanso (From January 2016)|
|History, Classics and Archaeology||Dr Carl Bjerstrom|
|Politics||Dr Matthijs Van Den Bos|
|Psychosocial Studies||Dr Silvia Posocco|
|Law (External Member)||Professor Michelle Everson|