- the competition is open to Final Year BA, MA, MPhil and PhD students interested in interdisciplinary research into media and culture.
- this Research Centre-sponsored competition gives students the opportunity to host an event—a seminar, symposium, exhibition, research workshop/activity–and gain invaluable experience at organising an academic-based event.
- only group submissions (2 or more students) will be considered.
Winners of the competition will be awarded:
- funding of up to £200. This can be spent in whatever way the group sees fit.
(NB: the standard fee for guest speakers is £100 per speaker; other expenses can include catering and/or travel for the speaker)
- room for the event
- publicity, via the Department/Research Centre website and dissemination of event to all students in FMAC.
- basic photocopying for posters, if required
Winners of the competition will be expected to write a 500 word blog-post for the Research website about the event, including photos.
The proposal must contain the following information:
- Title of Event
- Proposed Date of Event
- Description of Event (250 words)
- please provide information about the topic/ theme of the event.
- what type of event is this?
- if you’re inviting guest speakers or artists, what is the likelihood of securing them? For example, do you know the speaker professionally? Do you think the speaker would be available?
- Potential Audience (250 words)
- who do you think will attend the event?
- why will this event appeal?
- how do you intend to reach out to potential attendees?
- Budget for the Event
- budgets must include a breakdown of costs, such as honorarium for invited speakers or artists, and estimated travel/refreshment costs, for example
- any other expenses
Deadline for 2016-17 Competition is Friday 9 December 2016
Notification of outcome will be announced on Monday 9 January 2017. Please ensure that the proposed date for your event takes this into account.
Format and Submission of Proposals
Please submit your proposal in ONE document either in MsWord format or PDF format to the Co-Directors of BIRMAC, Dr. Lorraine Lim, email@example.com, and Dr. Janet McCabe, firstname.lastname@example.org, by the deadline. The name of the document must include the surname of the guest speaker/ speakers.
For details of ‘past winners’ visit here