Information for prospective students
Our world-class research informs the syllabus and development of our courses, which means you'll be learning directly from our findings. Academic staff are involved in teaching from certificate and diploma courses through to postgraduate degrees and study for the award of PhD. Over one thousand students were enrolled on courses in the department during the academic year 2009/10.
We provide high-quality courses, at all levels (not sure which course is best for you?):
- Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (Certificate of Higher Education) 2012/2013 entry
- 2013/2014 entry
- 2012/2013 entry
- Science (Foundation Degree): this course equips you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to tackle the key bioscience issues of the day. On successful completion of this course, you can progress into Year 3 of a Birkbeck BSc science degree.
- Biomedicine (BSc): this course provides an introduction to medical aspects of biology; it is ideal for students with an interest in health sciences and/or aspiring to a future career in medical research.
- : this course examines contemporary biological topics from a distinctly molecular/chemical perspective.
- Analytical Chemistry (with specialisms in Forensic Analysis and Environmental Analysis) (MSc / Postgraduate Diploma) 2013/2014 entry
- Analytical Bioscience (MSc / Postgraduate Diploma) 2013/2014 entry
- Bioinformatics with Systems Biology (MRes) 2013/2014 entry
- Bioinformatics with Systems Biology (MSc) 2013/2014 entry
- Chemical Research (MRes) 2013/2014 entry
- Health and Disease (MSc) 2013/2014 entry
- Microbiology (MSc) 2013/2014 entry
- Microbiology (MRes) 2013/2014 entry
We currently have MRC studentships available
- Structural Biology (MRes) 2013/2014 entry
Postgraduate courses offered by distance learning
- Principles of Protein Structure (distance learning) (Postgraduate Certificate) 2013/2014 entry
- Read our PPS blog to find out more
- Protein Crystallography (distance learning) (Postgraduate Certificate) 2013/2014 entry
- Structural Molecular Biology (distance learning) (MSc) 2013/2014 entry
- Techniques in Structural Molecular Biology (distance learning) (Postgraduate Certificate) 2013/2014 entry
Choosing the right course
Choosing the right course is an important decision, and we want you to be sure that you've made the right choice to come to us. Following is some information to help you:
- Why study with us? Read about just some of the reasons our students choose us.
- Which course should I choose? Not sure which course is best for you? Here's some guidance to help you.
- What happens if I cannot complete my Foundation Degree or BSc?
Benefits of studying here?
- Help and support: we provide a great deal of help and support while you're studying with us.
- Biology experimental projects: at undergraduate level, you may have the opportunity to develop a specific topic within the biological sciences
- Studentships: we are able to offer a number of PhD studentships each year.
- Biology careers web sites: want to see where our courses can take you?
Financing your university course from October 2012
Information is available about student loans and financial support for part time and full time students including:
- A tutorial on loans and other financial support
- Details of how to attend events about student finance
- Information on student loans and financial support
- How to contact our student finance team
Find out more