How to Apply
- Top left column
How to apply
1) Find your preferred supervisor using our experts database.
2) Contact you preferred supervisor to discuss possible projects and funding opportunities, and to establish whether they are able and willing to supervise you.
Once you have decided to apply, follow the process described on our research application page.
A list of the information required in the application is provided here for reference. However, you MUST apply through the on-line system.
The prospective student webpages provide additional information to help you decide whether or not to study with us.
Research at Birkbeck is organised into 5 Schools:
- The School of Arts
- The School of Business, Economics and Informatics
- The School of Law
- The School of Science
- The School of Social Science, History and Philosophy
In addition, many of our researchers work together through our research centres and institutes.
- Top right column
Birkbeck is a member of the following Research Council-funded DTCs:
- The London NERC DTP (Natural and Environmental Research Council)
- UCL-Birkbeck MRC DTP (Medical Research Council)
- BBSRC LIDO DTP (Bioscience and Biotechnlogy Research Council)
- The Wellcome Trust 4-year PhD Interdisciplinary Programme in Structural, Computational and Chemical Biology
- We have also recently joined the AHRC-funded CHASE consortium (Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- Bloomsbury Colleges Studentships may be available
- The College invests ca £1million annually in PhD studentships which are advertised on School/Departmental websites.
Who should apply
The College welcomes applications from prospective PhD students who are interested in working in any of our research areas.
Applications are particularly welcome from students who have identified a potential sponsor for their studentship, and from students who are looking to study part time, in line with Birkbecks tradition of being the first choice for students who want a flexible university experience, tailored around other responsibilities.