What is it like to study with us?
Every year, more than 1000 students choose to study one of our courses. In 2010/2011, 1062 students studied with us:
- Certificates and short courses: 747
- Undergraduate degrees: 150
- Postgraduate: 126
- MPhil / PhD: 39
We are committed to providing the best possible educational experience for all who come here.
- Our courses are of the highest academic calibre. All members of academic staff are scholars who produce work of an international standard.
- Our classes tend to consist of lectures in combination with smaller seminar groups, which enable you to discuss focused topics in small groups.
- Most classes are held at Gordon Square with a few taking place in the main Birkbeck building in nearby Malet Street. Our location in the centre of London, in historic Bloomsbury, means that our students benefit from access to the capital's inspiring range of libraries, archives, galleries, museums and cinemas.
- Our staff work and our students work in an atmosphere redolent of history in Gordon Square: the building housing the Department is also the former home of Vanessa and Virginia (later Woolf) Stephens, centre of the Bloomsbury Circle, as well as the home of John Maynard Keynes, celebrated economist.