- The Art of Film: John Box and Production Design (Wallflower/Columbia UP, 2009)
- A Matter of Life and Death (BFI Film Classics, 2000)
- Gilliam on Gilliam (Faber, 1999)
- The Last Machine: Early Cinema and the Birth of the Modern World (BBC/BFI, 1994).
- Arrows of Desire: the films of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 2nd edn (Faber, 1994; first edition, 1985)
Edited books and journals
- Audiences (Amsterdam University Press - forthcoming: Oct 2012)
- The Cinema of Michael Powell: International Perspectives on an English Filmmaker, co-edited with Andrew Moor (British Film Institute, 2005), to mark the centenary of Powell's birth
- Law's Moving Image, co-edited with L. Moran, E. Lozidou, E. Sandon (Cavendish, 2004).
- Scorsese on Scorsese, co-edited with D. Thompson, 3rd edn. (Faber, 2003).
- Spellbound: Art and Film, co-edited with P. Dodd (South Bank Centre, 1996).
- The Film Factory: Russian and Soviet Cinema in Documents 1896-1939, co-edited with R. Taylor, 2nd edn. (Routledge, 1994; first edition, 1988)
- Eisenstein Rediscovered, co-edited with Richard Taylor (Routledge, 1993).
Chapters in books
- 'Hitchcock and cinematography', in 39 Steps to the Genius of Hitchcock (BFI Publishing, 2012)
- 'A disturbing presence? Scenes from the history of film in the museum', in Angela Dalle Vacche, ed. Film, Art, New Media: Museum without Walls?(Palgrave Macmillan, 2012)
- 'What is a Picture? Film as defined in British law before 1910', chapter in Beyond the Screen: Institutions, Networks and Publics of Early Cinema (Libbey, 2012). Proceedings of 2010 Domitor conference.
- 'Knight's Moves: Brecht and Russian Formalism in Britain in the 1970s', in Ostranennie: On 'Strangeness' and the Moving Image, ed. Annie van den Oever, Amsterdam University Press, 2010
- 'Toys, Instruments, Machines: Why the Hardware Matters' in James Lyons (ed.) Multimedia Histories: from the Magic Lantern to the Internet (Exeter: John Plunkett, 2007).
- 'What Counts as Art in England: Pevsner and the Minor Canons' in Peter Draper (ed.) Reassessing Nikolaus Pevsner (Ashgate, 2004).
- 'Buñuel against "Buñuel": Revisiting the landscape of fanaticism in "La Voie Lactée"' in P. Evans and I. Santoialla (eds) Luis Buñuel: New Readings (British Film Institute, 2004).
- 'Asynchrony' in L. Sider and D. Freeman (eds) Soundscape: The School of Sound Lectures 1998-2001. (Wallflower, 2003).
- 'As others see us: British filmmaking and Europe in the 90s' in R. Murphy (ed.) British Cinema of the 90s, (BFI, 2000).
- 'Mirror image: French reflections of British cinema', La Lettre de la Maison Française d'Oxford, no. 11 (Trinity-Michaelmas, 1999).
- 'Celluloid Apocalypse' in F. Carey (ed.) The Apocalypse and the Shape of Things to Come (British Museum, 1999).
- 'Motives for Metaphor', Boyd Webb, retrospective catalogue (Auckland Art Gallery, 1997).
- Rachael Low, The History of British Film (7 vols.), review article in Journal of Popular British Cinema, no. 2, (1999).
- 'Returning to zero', Sight and Sound (April 1998). On Aleksandr Sokurov.
- 'Has the cinema a career? the origins of British resistance to film', Times Literary Supplement (17 November 1995).