- Art, Museums and Touch. Manchester: Manchester University Press: 2010
- (with Raiford Guins) The Object Reader. London: Routledge Visual Culture Series, 2008.
Chapters in books
- (with Raiford Guins) (2009) ‘Introducing Objects: What, When and Where, How’, in The Object Reader, London: Routledge.
- (2009) ‘Yesterday Upon the Stair’, in Fiona Candlin and Raiford Guins (eds.) The Object Reader, London: Routledge.
- (2008) ‘Museums, modernity and the class politics of touching objects’, in Helen Chatterjee (ed.) Touch in Museums. Policy and Practice in Object Handling, London: Berg.
- (2008) ‘A Dual Inheritance: The Politics of Educational Reform and PhDs in Art and Design’, (reprinted) in ed. Richard Hickman, Research in Art & Design Education: Issues and Exemplars, Bristol: Intellect.
- (2007) Don’t Touch! Hands off! Art, Artefacts, Contamination and Blindness’ (reprinted), in Elizabeth Pye (ed.) The Power of Touch Handling Objects in Museum and Heritage Contexts, Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- (2001) ‘Space, Chastity and Classicism at The British Museum’, in David Jones and Gerald Normie (ed.) A Spatial Odyssey. University of Nottingham: Continuing Education Press: 54-65.
- (with Margaret O’Brien) (2001) ‘Life-long Learning in Museums: A Critical Appraisal’, in David Jones and Gerald Normie (ed.) A Spatial Odyssey. University of Nottingham: Continuing Education Press: 176-186.
- (2012) 'Open House at the Vintage Wireless Museum', Open: Cahier on the Art and the Public Domain. Issue 23. (Bi-lingual English /Dutch journal)
- (2012) 'Independent Museums, Heritage, and the Shape of Museum Studies', Museums and Society. vol. 10 (1)
- (2008) ‘Touch and the Limits of the Rational Museum’, Senses and Society. vol. 3 (3) 277-292
- (2006) ‘The Dubious Inheritance of Touch: Art History and Museum Access’, Journal of Visual Culture. vol. 5 (2):137-154
- (2005) ‘Food Utopias: Gayle Chong Kwan’s New Photographs’, Portfolio: 44.
- (2004) ‘Hands Off! Don’t Touch: Art, Artefacts, Contamination and Blindness’, Body & Society. vol. 10 (1): 71-90
- (2003) ‘Blindness, Art and Exclusion in Museums and Galleries’, International Journal of Art and Design Education. vol. 22(1):100-110
- (2003) ‘The politics of work, imperialism and restoration at the Victoria Memorial, Kolkata’, Third Text: Third World Perspectives on Art and Culture. vol. 17(1): 29-42
- (2003) ‘Touching Art’, New Beacon (RNIB journal). April: 35-8
- (2002) ‘Imperialism and Art: Resisting Restoration at the Victoria Memorial in Kolkata’, Bengal Past and Present. vol. 120: 51-73
- (2001) ‘A Dual Inheritance: The Politics of Educational Reform and PhDs in Art and Design’, International Journal of Art and Design Education. vol. 20(3): 302-310
- (2000) ‘A Proper Anxiety? Practice-based PhDs and academic unease’, Journal of Working Papers in Art and Design. vol. 1(1): 2000
- (2000) ‘Practice-based Doctorates and Questions of Academic Legitimacy’, International Journal of Art and Design Education. vol. 19(1): 96-101
- (2005) ‘Bad Behaviour, New Sensations’, Sense and Sensuality exhibition catalogue: 3-8
Selected conference papers and presentations
- (November 2012) 'Micromuseology: Researching small, independent, single-subject museums', New Approaches to the Past: Methodological Innovation in Heritage Research seminar series, UCL
- (October 2011) 'Art and the Etiquette of Touch’, School of Graduate Studies in association with the Concordia Sensoria Research Team, Concordia University, Montreal.
- (October 2011) ‘How Museums Feel’, Sensing Cultures panel, American Anthropological Association conference, Montreal.
- (March 2011) ‘Night Shift at the British Museum’, Night Shift seminar series, Birkbeck
- (March 2011) ‘A short and partial history of museum and gallery access provision for blind and partially-sighted audiences’. Keynote lecture, Visual Impairment Training Day, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh
- (March 2010) ‘Object handling in English Museums: Histories of tactual knowledge’, Birkbeck Symposia
- (Feb 2010) The Object Reader’, College Art Association Conference, Chicago
- (Oct 2009) ‘Touch and Art in Contemporary Museums’, research seminar series, Reading University.
- (Feb 2009) ‘Differentiating Touch / Tactual Practices’, College Art Association conference, Los Angeles
- (May 2008) ‘Licit and Illicit Touch’, Touch and Sculpture conference, Courtauld Institute
- (Oct 2006) ‘Art, Museums and the Separation of the Senses’, Art and the Senses conference, Oxford University
- (Oct 2006) ‘The Class Politics of Touch’, Touch and the Value of Object Handling, AHRC funded seminar, University College London
- (March 2006) ‘The Dubious History of Touch’, research seminar series, Thames Valley University art department
- (Oct 2005) ‘The Dubious Inheritance of Touch’, Art Beyond Sight conference, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- (Sept 2005) ‘Doctors of Invention’, Symposium on Practice-based Theory, Leuven University
- (June 2005) ‘Can Matter Think? Touch and Knowing in Museum Collection’s, Sensation conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- (June 2004) ‘Blindness, Touch and the Conservation of Expertise in Museums’, Wellbeing conference, Cambridge University.
- (Feb 2004) ‘Why Art Appeals to Me’, The Treason of Images: Modern Art and Education conference, Tate Modern
- (July 2003) ‘Why Aren’t Museums More Accessible’, Challenging Ocularcentricity, ESRC funded seminar series, Tate Modern.
- (March 2003) ‘Research in Progress’, Art Talks, Arts Through Touch (disability activist group), Pocklington Resource Centre, London
- (April 2002) ‘Touch and Gesture in Benodebehari Mukerjee’s Art Practice’, British Association of Art Historians Annual Conference, Liverpool.
- (Dec 2001) ‘Museums in Theory and Practice’, Research Seminar Series, Art and Design Department, Institute of Education
- (July 2001) ‘Space, Chastity and Classicism at The British Museum’, The 6th International Conference on Adult Education and the Arts, Birkbeck.
- (June 2001) ‘A Dual Inheritance: Practice-based PhDs and the Politics of Educational Reform’, Thinking in Practice conference, Exeter University
- (July 2000) ‘A Proper Anxiety? Practice-based PhDs and Academic Unease’, Research into Practice conference, University of Hertfordshire
Curatorial and research consultancies
- 2005-7 The Arts Council and Arts Through Touch. Conducted evaluation and wrote advisory report: Arts Through Touch: Then, Now and the Future.
- 1999 Tate Modern, London. Researched and wrote advisory paper: Hearing, Touching and Understanding Art: Re-thinking Education Provision for Visually Impaired Adults in Art Galleries.
Art, Museums and Touch