Planning and Business Systems
As a department of Birkbeck's Professional Services, we provide a College-wide support service for corporate planning, process review, support and development of the student records system and related services, and provision of management information.
- the Birkbeck Student Information System (BSIS) team
- the Planning and Management Information team (PMIT)
- policy and lobbying, and influencing
Birkbeck Student Information System (BSIS) Team: responsibilities
- Develop and support the college student records system (BSIS) and associated systems and student services (eg the Teaching Resource Manager (TRM), E-admissions, online enrolment and payment).
- Optimise and review student-related business processes.
- Provide staff training on BSIS and related processes.
The Planning and Management Information Team (PMIT): responsibilities
- Manage and facilitate annual budget setting, including organisation of activities, staff training, and provision of supporting IT and management information.
- Facilitate corporate planning by:
- leading and facilitating evidence-based strategic thinking and planning in the college, and producing relevant management information, KPIs and modelling to inform this
- putting structures in place for corporate planning.
- Provide student statutory returns, including HESA, HESES, KIS and the OFFA Agreement.
- Provide student-related management information and integrated reporting across all key college systems.
- Provide analysis and visualisation of Birkbeck management information and in a sector-wide context (eg NSS, UK-wide student numbers).
Policy and lobbying, and influencing: responsibilities
- Ensure that Birkbeck management and staff are appropriately informed of policy developments in government and in the higher education sector.
- Ensure that Birkbeck’s voice is heard in the formation of government policy, and in higher education policy debate more generally.
- Seek to influence the development of policy in Birkbeck’s interests.