Headed by Caroline McDonald, we promote progression to higher education through working in partnership with further education colleges, sixth-form colleges, trades unions and community groups. Birkbeck is committed to raising the aspirations and awareness of students who are typically underrepresented at university and those interested in part-time and lifelong learning. Through our Access Agreement, we are dedicated to providing opportunities, information and guidance for young people and adults, helping them realise their educational potential and broaden their horizons.
Our work includes a full range of events and workshops to introduce underrepresented prospective students to higher education and Birkbeck, including schools and colleges workshops, public community activity and mentoring.
- Widening Access team page
- Outreach activities and workshops
- Get Started: a monthly event, consisting of three interactive workshops to provide undergraduate students with information, advice and guidance for applying to university
- Bridges to Birkbeck
- The Compass Project Fund, providing asylum seekers with scholarships to Birkbeck
- Family learning
- Access agreement
- General contact for initial queries and access
- Naureen Abubacker Widening Access Officer
- Sahar Erfani Widening Access Manager +44 (0) 20 7380 3131
- Claudia Freemantle Widening Access Research Officer +44 (0) 20 7380 7276
- Caroline McDonald Head of Widening Access +44 (0) 20 7380 3123
- Sophie Swain Widening Access Assistant
- Faith Williams Outreach Officer (Tottenham)