Headed by Julia Day, the Communications Team enhances the reputation of the College, by inspiring positive attitudes and behaviour towards Birkbeck. From the website and media liaison to graduation events, prospectuses and visual identity, we maximise the university's influence and impact through timely, meaningful engagement with external and internal stakeholders.
Our work includes:
- communications: including media, social media, internal communications and reputation management
- design and visual identity
- digital: website content
- events, including Graduation
- public engagement.
Our communications professionals are responsible for external and internal communication strategy, practice, channels and content. Among the areas we cover are media relations, internal communications, research communications, social media and multimedia content and the annual BBK magazine.
- Media - journalists should (see below).
- Staff should visit the intranet pages to find out how to contribute to Birkbeck Matters or promote research.
- Louisa Ackermann Communications Officer +44 (0) 20 7380 3133
- Julia Day Head of Communications +44 (0) 20 7380 3120
- Bryony Merritt Communications Officer +44 (0) 20 7380 3091
- Henry Rummins Communications Manager +44 (0) 20 7380 3108
Our design team are responsible for how Birkbeck is visually presented to the world. We create beautiful, cohesive design across a range of printed and digital media from prospectuses and video to banners, signage and brochures. We also provide guidance, support, tools and templates to help others use our identity effectively.
Staff should visit the intranet pages to use our visual identity toolkit.
External suppliers should contact James Brown to request the logo, advice on its usage and other queries relating to our branding guidelines
- James Brown Creative Design and Visual Identity Manager +44 (0) 20 7380 3110
- Kit Heighway Creative and Visual Identity Designer +44 (0) 20 7380 3124
Our website editors are responsible for producing and mantaining user-friendly, user-focused website content and Birkbeck's style guide. We also provide guidance, training and support for people working with the website across the College.
- Angela Ashby Digital Editor +44 (0) 20 7380 3133
- Ben Winyard Senior Content Editor +44 (0) 20 7380 3171
- Jane Van de Ban Web Content Manager +44 (0) 20 7380 3132
We deliver a busy programme of events for the College including two sets of graduation ceremonies (in April and November each year), Open Evenings, inaugural lectures, our annual Booker Prize lecture and many other events that bring Birkbeck's work to life.
- General enquiries
- Mike Bristow Events Officer +44 (0) 20 7380 3118
- Teri Gate Events Assistant +44 (0) 20 7380 3109
We produce Birkbeck's corporate publications, including the undergraduate and postgraduate prospectuses and course listings.
- Dr Ben Winyard Senior Content Editor +44 (0) 20 7380 3171
Birkbeck seeks to create a research culture that makes a positive difference to society through a strategic approach to public engagement, from research dissemination to collaborative research with non-academic communities.
- Mary-Clare Hallsworth Public Engagement Officer +44 (0) 20 7380 3230