The principal aims of Birkbeck are to:
- Provide part-time higher education courses which meet the changing educational, cultural, personal and career needs of adults; in particular those who live or work in the London region.
- Enable adult students from diverse social and educational backgrounds to participate in our courses.
- Maintain and develop excellence in research and provide the highest quality research training in all our subject areas.
- Make available the results of research, and the expertise acquired, through teaching, publication, partnerships with other organisations and the promotion of civic and public debate.
The key supporting objectives are to:
- Offer our students an integrated range of flexible, research-led courses across all levels of provision.
- Achieve and maintain strong research cultures in support of interdisciplinary work in each school and faculty.
- Ensure the College provides an inclusive working and learning environment for its students and staff so that all may develop to their full potential.
- Develop the College’s capacity to respond rapidly to new and changing opportunities in higher and further education.
- Develop sustainable partnerships within the London region and beyond.