The principal aims of Birkbeck are to:
- Provide flexible and part-time higher education courses that meet the changing educational, cultural, personal and career needs of students of all ages; in particular, those who live or work in the London region.
- Enable adult students from diverse social and educational backgrounds to participate in our courses.
- Make available the results of research, and the expertise acquired, through teaching, publication, partnerships with other organisations and the promotion of civic and public debate.
- Maintain and develop excellence in research and provide the highest quality research training in all our subject areas.
The key supporting objectives are to:
- Offer our students an integrated range of flexible, research-led courses across all levels of provision.
- Achieve and maintain strong research cultures, in support of interdisciplinary work, in each school and faculty.
- Ensure the College provides an inclusive working and learning environment for its students and staff, so that all may develop to their full potential.
- Develop the College’s capacity to respond rapidly to new and changing opportunities in higher and further education.
- Develop sustainable partnerships within the London region and beyond.