The principal aims of Birkbeck are to:
- provide flexible and part-time higher education courses which meet the changing educational, cultural, personal and career needs of students of all ages: in particular, those who live or work in the London region
- enable adult students from diverse social and educational backgrounds to participate in our courses
- make available the results of research, and the expertise acquired, through teaching, publication, partnerships with other organisations and the promotion of civic and public debate
- maintain and develop excellence in research and provide the highest quality research training in all our subject areas.
The key supporting objectives are to:
- offer our students an integrated range of flexible, research-led courses across all levels of provision
- achieve and maintain strong research cultures in support of interdisciplinary work in each school and faculty
- ensure the College provides an inclusive working and learning environment for its students and staff so that all may develop to their full potential
- develop the College’s capacity to respond rapidly to new and changing opportunities in higher and further education
- develop sustainable partnerships within the London region and beyond.